Talk

Advanced search

Advice Please!

(5 Posts)
mermalaid Sat 15-Aug-09 01:21:25

Evening, if there's anyone still awake... can i ask for your wise words of advice. My good friend has been off work for 6 weeks with depression. She has received a letter from her manager asking her to attend a meeting with manager and human resources to 'discuss any plans you may have about returning to work'. My friend is really upset and frightened as the manager has said she'll be put through sickness policy before. I don't see how this can be acceptable as she is signed off as unfit for work by GP and has also been seen by occi health who were really supportive.

What should she do?

Tortington Sat 15-Aug-09 01:24:45

it sounds like a normal policy tbh - flowery beanbag is the hr guru

they can't sack her for being sick - i think

KembleTwins Sat 15-Aug-09 01:26:06

She should probably see her boss, but not panic. If she has been signed off, then there's nothing her boss can do in terms of "forcing" her back to work. She should check out her contract in terms of sick leave, so as to be sure what she's entitled to, and be confident when she goes to the meeting. Is she a member of a union? If so, she should take the union rep with her, and if not, she could take a friend so that she has a witness to whatever happens.

Medee Sun 16-Aug-09 14:12:04

it's not unusual, Mermalaid. In a caring employer, it means how can we phase you back into work, that suits both of us. In another, it might mean how can we manage you out of the business, but they can't just sack her for being unwell. Kemble is right, she should take someone with her (usu has to be another employee rather than just a friend, I think.) If she is medically unfit for a meeting though, she should be able to defer it.

ruddynorah Sun 16-Aug-09 14:19:43

not unusual. it's considered good absence management.

they can sack you for being sick though. very long term absence can result in a no blame dismissal. this wouldn't happen all of a sudden though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now