Talk

Advanced search

Help - Finding it really hard to tell boss that I am pregnant

(5 Posts)
slightlybonkers Wed 12-Aug-09 23:25:17

I'm 15 wks pregnant and haven't told boss that i'm pregnant yet It's a part-time job in a small family business. I've been here 2.5 years and hit sales targets, am well regarded etc. I job-share with another girl who is lovely but boss is a bit of a dragon. Love job and it suits me as have a 3 yr old DS, so put up with boss who isn't around that much. Am also getting married next wk so am off for a couple of weeks. She was really nice to me today and gave me a wedding gift but is usually v v demanding and I am intimadated by her. She made another member of staff redundant in Feb. and am worried my job will go same way. Any suggestions?

Kafka Wed 12-Aug-09 23:39:33

Tell her in writing and keep a copy. That way if you are treated differently you can prove when you told your boss. You are going to have to tell her sooner or later so suggest you get on with it.

flowerybeanbag Thu 13-Aug-09 11:07:17

You just need to tell her and get it over with. If she is going to react badly, she won't react less badly because you leave it later to tell her, so there's nothing to gain by putting it off, except you are spending this time worrying about it!

These things are usually not as bad as you think, she may surprise you and react perfectly reasonably, but even if she doesn't you will need to deal with it at some point and best to do it sooner rather than later.

Also the more notice she has about having to sort out maternity cover the better, so if you leave it til the last possible minute, you won't be giving her much notice at all which may not help her reaction!

superfrenchie1 Thu 13-Aug-09 11:07:34

hello, double congratulations!

if it was me... i would wait until after coming back from time off.

although the better thing to do would probably be to tell her now. but that would give her 2 weeks while you're away to stew about it - better to tell her and be there to get on with your work and show her you are still adding value.

she can't make you redundant just because you are pregnant.

if you plan to come back after maternity leave this time, you can tell her that, and explain that you enjoy your job and want to carry on long-term so you can offer her security, etc. you can tell her if you have already thought about childcare for two children, etc.

it'll be ok - try not to worry too much - once you've told her it'll be out in the open and you'll feel much better

slightlybonkers Thu 13-Aug-09 22:32:07

thanks for these replies - making me feel a bit better! am under stress with organising the wedding as well so would probably have a complete meltdown if she reacted badly. I'll tell her on my return when i'll be more chilled out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now