Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Employer contacting you whislt on holiday and/or maternity leave

(8 Posts)
Southwind Tue 04-Aug-09 22:06:52

To cut a long story short, I have been signed off sick since April due to work related stress which I am currently using CAB to help resolve the issues, but starting from this week (3rd) I am on three weeks holiday and then straight into maternity leave.

The boss involved in my greviance rang my mobile today.....I actually missed the call and she didnt leave a message, is this reasonable?? Do I have to answer her calls??

There is no outstanding work to pass over as I did all this when I went off sick in April, cant think of any reason why she would ring???
Also my company are suppose to be dealing directly with ACAS at the moment as paperwork has been submitted to the employment tribunal and they have also been asked not to contact me directly.....Im confused and hoping this wont become a regular thing.

Any ideas????

southeastastra Tue 04-Aug-09 22:08:27

ring her back

lisad123 Tue 04-Aug-09 22:10:45

cant remember where I heard but Im sure i was told that your boss cannot contact you while on sick leave.

cat64 Tue 04-Aug-09 22:20:09

Message withdrawn

pushmepullyou Tue 04-Aug-09 22:24:01

I'm not sure how it would work with your grievance and sick leave, but in terms of mat leave alone I think your employer is entitled to 'reasonable contact' with you whilst you are off.

Probably worth a check with the CAB to see where you stand.

Southwind Tue 04-Aug-09 22:33:40

Its hard because I love my job and feel sad everyday about what has happened and miss my work (do i sound mad lol)
If anybody but her had rung me I would probably of answered it but as she is the one who caused most of my issues I do not want to speak to her.
I will of course inform CAB who are representing me that she has tried to make contact.
I just wondered, as I am now on holiday and not off sick anymore if she had the right to contact me. And also if she can contact me, could it continue through my maternity leave?

Southwind Tue 04-Aug-09 22:36:37

Just saw your post pushmepullyou.....I will give CAB a ring.....its just that my advisor is part time so I thought I would get quicker advice on here incase she tries to call again tomorrow smile

flowerybeanbag Wed 05-Aug-09 09:09:26

Under normal circumstances it's perfectly acceptable and in fact good practice to keep in touch with employees on either sick or maternity leave.

However obviously in your circumstances, at least relating to your grievance, your employer are supposed to be liaising with ACAS, so it's slightly different.

I don't think on the basis of one phone call you have any reason to think this is suddenly going to become a regular thing. It may have been nothing to do with the grievance and she didn't think it was appropriate to go through ACAS about, or she may have just completely forgotten that contact was restricted. I'm sure if it was important she would have left a message anyway, so don't worry about it. If she rings again today, ignore the call again, and mention to whoever your liaison at ACAS is, or your solicitor if you are using one, that she has rung and could they please find out what the problem is for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now