Talk

Advanced search

On reduced hours, and worked 'additional hours' can I claim them back?

(7 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 30-Jul-09 18:39:16

I work mon-thursday (half day tuesday, long other days), have fridays off.

Under normal circs, if I worked on fridays for example due to work requirements, I would take these hours/whole day back.

I am on reduced hours due to hyperemesis issues, hours reduced from 32 to 21, formally through OH and NEM risk assessment.

I had to work on a friday a few weeks ago, all day, in addition to my 'reduced' hours/days.

Can I claim the hours back as flexi/toil as I would normally, as I worked over the 'reduced hours' arranged, or do I lose them as I would still be within my original normal hours?

flowerybeanbag Thu 30-Jul-09 19:30:51

I assume you are still being paid for 32 hours? As you have 'official' requirement to reduce those hours to 21, it would make sense that you should only work 21 and not work any extra at all. Working 28 hours or however many, and then claiming the extra back later doesn't really meet the OH and risk assessment requirement which is that you don't actually do more than 21 in any given week in the first place.

So my first concern is why are you doing extra when there is a very good reason why you shouldn't be? Not having a go at you, and it's a bit of a rhetorical question, but why is the official requirement not being adhered to by your boss?

Whether you get the extra hours back at some point is a secondary issue. As the medical requirement is for you to not work more than 21 hours a week, rather than (presumably) a requirement about average hours or something similar, then I don't think you can necessarily claim the hours back on that basis. However obviously it would certainly be sensible from a OH point of view that you do get those hours back, yes.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 30-Jul-09 19:47:29

Yes I am getting paid 32 as it is a temp adjustment as per OH/risk assessment needs being identified.

I get completely what you are saying about the medical side of things.

I guess, probably my fault as much as anything. I had not considered that I would be working additional hours. I was called to court as a professional witness and I had to attend, unfortunately it was a friday. i should have really taken the day back that week, not worked the day before, to ensure I continued to work 21 hours only. I just had stuff to do I guess.

As it happens, the long/additional day was detrimental to my health. I came home and was promptly violently sick, and did not stop being unwell for several days. In fact, I was signed off for 2 weeks (I have been back for 2 weeks, and still have not had my back to work interview, nor risk assessment review so the link between the excess work and potential contribution to my downward turn in managing illness has not been made.

I have not been asked to do additional work over and above the 21 hours again, and I am not anticipating being ask to either.

I am meeting with my manager next week with a whole bunch of issues in arm, and I guess I was wondering whether to raise the recouping of the additional hours or not, along with everything else I am raising grin

flowerybeanbag Thu 30-Jul-09 19:53:00

In for a penny in for a pound, eh? grin Yes go for it, definitely raise it and see how you get on.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 30-Jul-09 19:58:10

Flowery, you would not beleive the incompetence of this woman. I mean, really. You would not grin

flowerybeanbag Thu 30-Jul-09 20:02:45

I dunno, I've seen some pretty astonishing levels of incompetence in my time...grin

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 30-Jul-09 20:13:45

grin well yes, probably you have, this one is probably a pussy cat in reality compared to what you have experienced!

Problem with this manager, she works in spreadsheets! If its not a spreadsheet, she struggles to cope, so human interaction just seems to freak her right out, as does the written word in the form of policy. She should have been the business accountant, or stats person or something!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now