Talk

Advanced search

In probation, manager's a bully, have review meeting this afternoon?

(18 Posts)
worried27 Tue 28-Jul-09 11:32:32

I need some advice as to handle this meeting.

Have started a new job and the senior manager is widely regarded as a bully, (naively I thought I would be different!)

Last week I booked a meeting in his diary for half an hour earlier than it should have been, and put a note in saying that it was for travel time as the meeting was off-site. He didn't read it and turned up 30mins early... I then got accused of being selfish, arrogant, thinking t was all about me, didn't I realise his time was valuable, I don't think, I am stupid and not very bright! When I tried to explain it was how I had always booked things in and that I was just being considerate, he sent me home!

I sent an email saying I was very sorry etc, I should have found out how the new company puts things in its diaries etc, totally grovelling. I copied in my manger too but neither replied.

I now have a 'probationary review meeting' this afternoon and I'm frankly petrified of what he's going to say/do.

Any advice please? Thanks

GooseyLoosey Tue 28-Jul-09 11:36:28

Wow - do you want to carry on working for this guy?

In all honesty, I think I would take the view that he is unlikley to change and keep my head down and say all the right things, particularly if you want to get past the probationary period. Apologise for the confusion, accept it was your responsibility and explain how you will ensure that it won't happen again. At the same time, I would document everything that had happened and was said whilst looking very, very hard for another job!

GooseyLoosey Tue 28-Jul-09 11:38:47

Should have said that advice would actually depend slightly on the kind of person I thought the manager was. I once worked for someone who treated people like a doormat only so long as they allowed him to. Once you stood up to him, he respected you a great deal more and was much easier to work with. Still looked for another job though as thought it was prattish behaviour.

No one else really knows the personalities involved so go with what you really think is right.

worried27 Tue 28-Jul-09 11:40:51

No, he is like this with everyone, and unlikely to change! I would resign today if I could but not sure there is much out there at the minute...

franklymydear Tue 28-Jul-09 11:41:18

Do you need this job?

I would turn up for review meeting and listen to what they had to say then I'd put my own point of view across. I would accept responsibility for diarising wrong and apologise and confirm it won't happen again and then I would address the string of personal insults and ask for assurance that won't happen again as it is demeaning both for recipient and the one who has lost his temper.

ilovemydogandmrobama Tue 28-Jul-09 11:50:49

You made a mistake. But he's out of line by making personal comments and then by sending you home which is effectively disciplining you for a minor mistake.

He does sound like a total bully, but think you should raise the issue with him. What happens, god forbid, if you make another mistake? Think you need to ask him something along the lines of, 'how should I have booked out your time?' Or, 'how can we avoid something like that happening again?' And then highlight all your achievements wink

worried27 Tue 28-Jul-09 13:07:29

I do need a job. I don't need this job, working with someone like this.

Could he sack me in this meeting?

ilovemydogandmrobama Tue 28-Jul-09 14:05:02

Not for getting a diary entry wrong. It wasn't gross misconduct.

flowerybeanbag Tue 28-Jul-09 14:08:37

If it's a new job yes he could potentially sack you - while you are still within your first year of employment with a company they don't need a reason to sack you or have to go through any formal warnings or procedure because you can't claim unfair dismissal with very few exceptions.

You've had some good advice from everyone on this thread, stand your ground, hope the meeting goes well.

GooseyLoosey Tue 28-Jul-09 14:10:25

Yes - you are very vulnerable while you are still on your probation period.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 28-Jul-09 14:11:19

In a probationary period you can get sacked for your boss not liking the colour of your shoes. So a wrong diary entry is a reason. They do not have to give a reason. As DH found out in Jan after working for his employer for 5.5 months.

In the first year, a probationary period is for management purposes only, to help with training needs etc, and does not afford any employee protection. Unless you are dismissed on grounds that can be proven to be against statute law such as sex, race disability, age discrimination etc.

I would go with the whole 'yes sir, sorry sir, whatever you say sir, would you like a cup of tea sir' and get through the first year. Unless you do not need the job and then I would say 'fuck off' and walk. Remembering that this job will provide your next reference.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 28-Jul-09 14:11:48

sorry x-posted with fbb

worried27 Tue 28-Jul-09 16:53:31

I am leaving 'by mutual consent'...

AvengingGerbil Tue 28-Jul-09 18:07:04

Is it really mutual? If so, well done, probably the right choice. He sounds a git.

flowerybeanbag Tue 28-Jul-09 19:33:00

How are you feeling about that worried27? Upset, relieved?

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 28-Jul-09 20:01:44

worried - you ok? Have you been given notice?

worried27 Wed 29-Jul-09 11:56:46

I'm feeling relieved and would leave now if I could but sadly I am here til Friday!

I know I could go down a constructive dismissal route or something like that as he has done this before with other people, and he is a bully, but to be honest I just want to forget I was ever here!

The worst thing is I have stuff I need to do (today) and before I go, but I have zero motivation, just want to go home now

flowerybeanbag Wed 29-Jul-09 12:24:14

Friday will come round in no time.

Because you've not been there a year you wouldn't have any kind of constructive dismissal route open to you anyway unfortunately - it's basically only discrimination you can claim for this early in employment.

How long were you there? Is it possibly something you could leave off your cv, for example, if it was just a short few weeks?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now