Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Accusations of theft, and witholding of tips in hospitality setting - what's our legal position?

(3 Posts)
PenelopePitstops Wed 22-Jul-09 09:55:30

I work in a small hotel on the bar/waitressing. It is owned by a larger national company and for about six months there have been accusations, from management, of theft of stock. They have called various meetings and decided they will be grouping our tips, taking for what is being stolen and then dividing them up. I'm not sure:

a) whether this is legal?

b) if people actually are stealing or they are doing it to make a fast buck or cover other costs. We have been given no proof of the theft at all, and are questioning why the poice have not been called even for advice.

If anyone has any advice at all I would be most grateful.

flowerybeanbag Wed 22-Jul-09 10:26:08

What does your contract say about tips?

Would it be possible to prove theft? You say you haven't been given proof, but would it be possible for your management to provide greater evidence if they were so inclined?

PenelopePitstops Wed 22-Jul-09 10:59:35

contract says nothing about tips i can find, they used to be ours to keep.

I don't know how it would be possible, they say they have been stock taking etc but no-one has ever seen management check a delivery on arrival so things could be going missing there. Its very dodgy all round

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now