Talk

Advanced search

Could someone shed some light on this for me please? Sort of benefits question...

(6 Posts)
Kaylo Sun 19-Jul-09 16:05:00

Hi

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section - I couldn't decide where best to put it.

I work full time as an RTA claims advisor. I miss my children - and would love to stay at home with them so I wouldn't have all the frantic rushing around, up at 5:30 at childminders for half 6...

Could someone please shed some light on what monies I would be entitled to if I gave up work?

I earn 16k and dh earns 22k.

This is probably just a dream as am planning on another baby so need the maternity package but once baby(or babiesshock) are here I would prefer to stay at home and care for them myself.

I'm not lazy, although it may sound like it - I'm stressed out with everything. And another reason for all this is I have 2 children already aged 3 and 4 an due to me working full time I've missed each milestone of theirs. I wasn't around to see their first tooth cut, my mother noticed it, I didn't see their first steps - my mother did, I didn't hear their first word, my mother did! I didn't even get chance to take them for their first haircut - my sister did it (without my say-so!)
If you haven't guessed my sister and mother are my childminders to save on mahoosive fee's.

Please someone share their knowledge with me - how do you SAHM's do it? Is their a secret?
Or are you just better off financially than us?

I'm hoping we can get something sorted as I'm already being treated for stress related depression/anxiety and fear that my job is making its contribution as well.

I'm sorry this is so long but I didn't think there was a short way to put it all.

TIA x

Loosingmymind Sun 19-Jul-09 16:47:35

Hi, not sure if this is much help or not..

I was a SAHM with DS for 14 months and the only benefit I was entitled to was child tax credits and child benefit. DH was was on 17k at the time and I think I was getting 25quid a week for the 1 child.

I'm certainly no expert but I imagine that child tax is all your will be entitled to also.

I would phone Tax Credits and ask them what you would be entitled to with 3 kids and your DH's salary.

Would you consider working half time if you could not afford to quit?

Kaylo Sun 19-Jul-09 18:52:38

Yes I would definitely consider working part time - I think about 16hours would be fine - I was afraid I would only get child tax credits

Thank you for your response tho - much appreciated

I think I'l stick to full time for the time being and maybe just go back part time after maternity leave, sounds like the best option for me.

Thanks again xxx

CarGirl Sun 19-Jul-09 18:55:13

look at entitled to that will tell you, you may get enhanced child tax credits as you have 2 dc.

You also need to factor in your costs of working - commuting, buying more convenience food etc.

lou031205 Sun 19-Jul-09 19:22:48

It depends on whether you own or rent your home. If you rent, you would perhaps be entitled to some Housing Benefit, also.

Kaylo Tue 21-Jul-09 10:37:28

We own our house so housing benefit not an option - it's ok tho. Have decided theres no other alternative than to work full time until maternity leave then return to work on a part time flexi-shift basis.

Thank you all for your replies xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now