Talk

Advanced search

questions at end of interview

(16 Posts)
tattycoram Sun 19-Jul-09 13:48:08

I've got an interview tomorrow and I'm much more nervous than normal, mainly because I know there are very obvious gaps between my experience and their person spec and I just don't know how to answer questions about those areas. Also it's an internal interview which in my book makes it much much worse.

Anyway, I'm also not sure what to ask at the end - can someone remind me what sorts of questions go down well? It's a project managementy sort of role, so was thinking about asking where the project lead sees the project in five years time. But what else should I ask?

God I feel nervous

mrsmaidamess Sun 19-Jul-09 13:49:11

What training opps are there?

tattycoram Sun 19-Jul-09 13:53:39

ooh yes, that's a good one

daisypetal Sun 19-Jul-09 13:56:55

If it's project management then 5 years is a long time for any project. Isn't it more likely to be lots of short projects? You could ask what are the key skills they are looking for (and then quickly think of how you can demonstrate that you have them). A lot of interviews now ask competency questions so be prepared to back up your assertions with examples about what you have done. If they know enough about you at the end, you may not get this role but they'll know where to come if they need your skills in the future... smile

tattycoram Sun 19-Jul-09 14:02:22

Well the project is piloting some interventions, so was wondering what their vision was long term iyswim. I know I need to just knuckle down and do some more preparation but I can't face it

LittleOtik Sun 19-Jul-09 14:03:02

"What doubts / concerns do you have about me / my ability to do the role?"

"What do you think I'll find most difficult?"

etc

all give you a chance to reply and counter their worries / sound totally brilliant and in control

tattycoram Sun 19-Jul-09 14:07:40

God Otik that sounds brave. It's a bit of a wierd one as I know I don;t have a lot of the person spec, wasn't particularly planning to apply, and am really not sure what to say when they ask me about the experience that I don't have.

LIZS Sun 19-Jul-09 14:14:43

what induction would you have and time planned to spend with colleagues to look at existing systems/role (or whatever is relevant) . Training to cover any specific gaps.

If asked, acknowledge that you may lack certain skills but turn it positively with a willingness to train or previous experience as to how you might face a challenge/task.

LittleOtik Sun 19-Jul-09 14:18:43

Don't worry though - I've interviewed trillions <exaggeration> of people and trust me I never bothered to get anyone into interview if I didn't think they could do the job - what would be the point?

They like you - they want to employ you, hence why they've asked you in. Obviously they don't think your shortage of experience is a major problem. (Unelss you've lied to them!). If they ask you about your lack of experience, ask them right back whether they think it would prevent you from doing a good job.

Good luck

TDiddyIsaMan Sun 19-Jul-09 14:20:16

DO you get to keep current job if yiu don't get the PM job?

Good preparation will help you with nerves. Also some rigorous exercise today if you can.

Questions:

-could ask about the mix of skills in the rest of the team. Could allow you to highlight what skills you can add to the pot.

-could ask about the current portfolio of projects. Again look for opportunity to show some business, application or project knowledge in the current portfolio.

In my experience, the interviewer initially is subsconciously establishing whether they could work with you/have common interest/see you as intelligent/can imagine you doing the job etc. Often their assessment of your compentencies is biased by the mentioned. SO even competence based interviewing is not entirely objective. So prepare for the competence assessment but in the interview remember to establish some common ground/empathy with the interviewer.

But don't worry too much if your current job is safe as you might otherwise put too much pressure on yourself.

Worth writing down all the reasons why someone should want to hire you...to help your confidence and so that you remember to sell yourself.

tattycoram Sun 19-Jul-09 14:27:05

Yes I do, and I like my current job, so that's good. I've been for a run today and that helped.

I'm going to sit down with the list of competencies again and imagine what I would be asked on each of them. Is it okay to use the same example in the interview as on the application form?

TDiddyIsaMan Sun 19-Jul-09 14:30:51

I think it is. Often interviewer has only scanned cv/application form. Do you mind me asking which sector it is. ALso you should remind yourself that the interview probably say that your experience wasn't a perfect match so don't spend too much time worrying.

Remember as an internal, you would be up and running very quickly.

tattycoram Sun 19-Jul-09 14:44:14

It's public sector. Am off to think about which are the absolutely worst questions that I could be asked

TDiddyIsaMan Sun 19-Jul-09 14:49:47

Fine but don't spend the all the time self destructing: spend sometime thinking how good you are at xyz.

PS enthusiasm and passion can take you part of the way in an interview. Good luck and stay relaxed but prepared.

tattycoram Sun 19-Jul-09 14:51:06

Okay! Good advice.

TDiddyIsaMan Sun 19-Jul-09 20:26:39

to some extent u want to control some of the interview. Can do this by having a few bullet points in your head that you are aiming to get over to your interviewer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now