Talk

Advanced search

Sole Trader with very little work but worked before - will I get Maternity Allowance, if so how much??

(5 Posts)
NKffffffffae426a6bX12289024474 Fri 17-Jul-09 15:44:12

Hi,

I'm new to this site and was looking for some advice please?

I am 20 weeks pregnant and confused about my entitlement to Maternity Allowance.

At the beginning of the 66 week test period, I understand I can use the 8 weeks there where I earned a decent wage.

I recently became self employed/sole trader. Although I will have enough weeks of being self employed to add to my employment period I am concerned as some weeks, I am getting no clients/no work even though I am advertising and sitting here waiting for people.

I was advised by afew people that although my earnings are low and I am nowhere near making any profit, I should still pay class 2 national insurance to help me qualify.
I have not and do not intend to send for a low earnings certificate in case this hampers my claim and also, I could just as easily get several phonecalls in the coming weeks that would disqualify me from this.

Taking my best 13 weeks in the past 66 weeks, I can show an average of over £300 per week.

Will I still qualify for MA even though some weeks I have had no work come to me?

Any advice or experiences with this gratefully received.

Sorry for long post!

flowerybeanbag Fri 17-Jul-09 19:33:10

You should be fine, have a read here all about it.

craftynclothy Fri 17-Jul-09 19:41:01

If you're self-employed and pay Class 2 NI and don't have a small earnings exemption certificate you'll get the full amount of maternity allowance regardless of how much you're earned.

flowerybeanbag Fri 17-Jul-09 19:44:19

crafty I don't think the OP has been paying Class 2 contributions.

NKffffffffae426a6bX12289024474 Fri 17-Jul-09 19:47:56

Thanks folks,

I've been paying NI through my job last year and class 2 NI since I became self employed so should be covered for the 26 weeks by the time I apply for MA,x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now