Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

redundancy looming and I don't think procedures have been followed - does anyone know how much leagl sadvice is?

(10 Posts)
Finbar Thu 16-Jul-09 15:37:12

The main gist is that my employers have shiftied the date of redunancy they gave me on my original At Risk letter by one month! this seems to be down to their ineptitude to hold the formal meeitng in time -so they think its ok to add one month onthe end. This means I am an even worse prospect for another employer.

Am thinking about getting legal advice but have no idea what costs I may be facing
Any input appreciated.

Tamarto Thu 16-Jul-09 15:38:33

You may have some included in your home or car insurance?

Finbar Thu 16-Jul-09 15:40:03

ah yes - good point. Will look. Am so cross with them!

Finbar Thu 16-Jul-09 15:51:04

insurnace stuff seems to have restrictions. Anyone know how much a trip to teh solicitors costs?

Tamarto Thu 16-Jul-09 16:01:45

Most give you a half hour for free, not sure after that.

RibenaBerry Thu 16-Jul-09 18:25:48

Can't really comment on legal fees - bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question without knowing where in the country you are and what sort of firm you'd want.

However, is the only problem that the consultation has gone on a month longer than originally planned? That's unlikely to make dismissals unfair on their own.

What do you mean by the delay making you a worse prospect for another employer?

squashedfrogs Thu 16-Jul-09 18:37:04

Could you try going to your local Citizens Advice Bureau?

flowerybeanbag Thu 16-Jul-09 19:39:34

Can you give any more information about the procedure they've followed? Just increasing the consultation period by a month is unlikely to make the dismissal unfair as Ribena says. Obviously ideally all originally set timescales should be followed, however in the event that this is not possible, it's better to lengthen the consultation period to ensure all proper meetings have taken place and everyone has had full opportunity to be consulted and have an input than to rush it because of an original timetable and end up not consulting properly. That would be more likely to be unfair.

Are there other problems with what they are doing?

greentea72 Thu 16-Jul-09 20:07:15

your insurance might have a free legal help line - mine does, or are you a member of any professional body they often have free legal help lines. If its about procedure ACAS help line is quite good though you have to wait a while to get through

cafelattefan Fri 17-Jul-09 23:00:19

just phone ACAS its free advice as far as I know

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: