Talk

Advanced search

Bad reference...continued

(7 Posts)
Superduperloopthelooper Wed 15-Jul-09 12:53:47

Hi

I posted about a reference that I had been given by a former employer that stated that my reason for leaving was 'domestic difficulties' (I can't find the original thread, I may have also posted under Fluffybubble, have name changed!).

Anyway...following advice, I wrote to my the company and stated that I felt that this reason misrepresented me, and asked that it be reviewed to reflect my true reason for leaving (I left at the end of my maternity leave as the company could not accommodate my request for part-time hours).

I have now (finally!) had a response. The company have altered my reason for leaving on the system to show 'Other employment - Pay as requested'. Does anyone know what that means?! It doesn't seem to say much at all to me, and it still does not accurately reflect my reason for leaving!

I am hoping to not need to use this company for any future references, as I start a PGCE in September. It does, though, bother me that this is potentially detrimental to my future employment opportunities if I do end up needing to use them.

I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall. I understand that the company probably don't want to state 'we wouldn't accommodate xx's requested work pattern' in case of comeback, but do I just leave it now, as it is not as bad as it was, or do I continue to pursue it?!

Aghhh!!!

Thank you!

potplant Wed 15-Jul-09 12:59:35

It is much better than 'donestic difficulties' but as its so vague I don't think any future employer would take any notice of it. I can't see how it would be detrimental. It says to me that you left for alternative employment.

I don't think its worth you putting any extra effort into having it changed - in an interview situation, they would probably just ask you anyway and you could explain the situtation.

flowerybeanbag Wed 15-Jul-09 13:12:22

I agree with potplant.

The official reason recorded by your ex employer may not completely accurately reflect your actual reason for leaving. But actually they rarely do, and are usually vague and lacking in specific detail.

But the key is that when asked by a future employer, they don't give as a reason something that makes the new employer do this hmm and feel in any way concerned about you as a prospect.

What your ex employer now has listed is perfectly adequate and will not cause any difficulties as it is vague, non-committal and just sounds as though you resigned after getting a new job. If it is important that a new employer understands the situation fully, and it comes up in an interview, you can always elaborate if you want to, but what they've settled on shouldn't hinder you in getting alternative employment in the future which is the key thing.

It's definitely not worth any more hassle trying to get it amended again I'd say.

Superduperloopthelooper Wed 15-Jul-09 13:17:43

Oh, thanks both of you. I will leave it alone then, that's quite a relief.

I did wonder whether 'Other employment - pay as requested' was HR code for 'trouble' grin.

As you both say, I can always expand in an interview situation if I need to, and it is much better than it was...

Thanks for your help. smile

potplant Wed 15-Jul-09 13:22:17

grin love the idea of secret HR code!

flowerybeanbag Wed 15-Jul-09 13:40:19

That's not secret HR code, no. Some things written (or omitted) in references are though....grin

Superduperloopthelooper Wed 15-Jul-09 17:48:27

grin I really am paranoid aren't I?!!

Thanks for all of your advice, will chill out now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now