Talk

Advanced search

book about interview technique

(10 Posts)
Babbity Thu 09-Jul-09 22:06:04

I've been shortlisted three times but not got the job, so I know my CV's ok - I wonder whether my interview technique is letting my down. Can anyone recommend a book on interview technique for interview number 4?

Thanks so much.

bigstripeytiger Thu 09-Jul-09 22:11:07

Have you tried having practice interviews with people? I found that the most helpful thing.

Babbity Thu 09-Jul-09 22:17:05

I don't really have anyone to do that with - but I do lots of practice in the mirror.grin The next interview is a group interview to whittle down the shortlist, horror of horrors, god only knows what we'll be doing.

Thank you.

Blackduck Thu 09-Jul-09 22:17:15

get feed back - this may tell you where you are missing out..

Babbity Thu 09-Jul-09 22:28:53

Yes, I've got feedback Blackduck, they all say the same "very difficult decision.. everyone very good... could have appointed any one of you....." and nothing really concrete to work on. What I really want to know is: is there something I'm doing or not doing that means the other candidates are getting the job? Or is it genuinely bad luck, or I'm not good enough.

Blackduck Thu 09-Jul-09 22:35:50

Sometimes it is bad luck, sometimes it is just a gut feeling one one rather than the other (been on both sides of the fence), I know it is cr*p not to get it but sometimes it is indefinable. No comfort I know, but if their feedback is so vague I guess it is the indefinable - other person fits more than you do..
Or challenge them and say what one thing could I have done/said that would have swung the balance in my favour.

bigstripeytiger Thu 09-Jul-09 22:36:23

You need to practice with someone who will give you honest feedback. Is there no-one who could help you? Any friends who interview people for jobs (or know anyone who does)?

Babbity Thu 09-Jul-09 22:41:18

I'll have to have a think about that bigstripeytiger. My friends are either SAHMs or in jobs that don't interview (creative types), but there may be someone I haven't thought of. Thanks.

Blackduck - that's a good idea. I'll try that if there's a next time. Thanks. I'm beginning to get a bit paranoid that I'm sending out the wrong vibes, or I'm the wrong sex...hmm

spiralqueen Thu 09-Jul-09 23:02:40

Try "Great Answers to Tough Interview Questions" I think from memory the author's surname is Yates.

For corporate interviews it's really good and you should be able to borrow a copy from your local library if you don't want to buy it.

If you are after a civil service job they have to do behavioural interviewing so it would be worth researching that a bit to see what kind of answers they are looking for.

HTH and good luck!

Babbity Thu 09-Jul-09 23:13:32

Thank you spiralqueen - looks just the ticket.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now