Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Time off for antenatal appointments & classes (sorry, long!)

(6 Posts)
blondieminx Thu 09-Jul-09 09:50:29

I'm 12 weeks pg and have 2 complications which have led my obstetrician to classify me as high risk, meaning I'll be given extra antenatal appointments.

I told my boss earlier this week that I'm pg and explained that I would be being given extra antenatal appointments because of complications. In the past he's been quite awkward with everyone in the team about time off for doctors appointments etc.

We've recently been through a redundancy programme and are now finding ourselves frequently swamped with work and I can see him being really difficult about giving me the time off and quibbling about it all and I could really do without the extra stress. Obviously I intend to give as much notice as possible for each appointment but I'm wondering if there's any particular way I should notify him of each appointment, if there's a set phrase I should be using???

I have my first meeting with HR this morning about maternity package etc - worth mentioning my concerns to them?

edam Thu 09-Jul-09 09:52:39

Yes, do mention it. You are legally entitled to time off for antenatal appointments, if boss kicks up point out this is the law. Check out the Equalities and Human Rights Commission website, think they have all the relevant maternity legislation there.

edam Thu 09-Jul-09 09:53:17

(but the law only extends to medical appointments, NOT to classes.)

flowerybeanbag Thu 09-Jul-09 09:53:36

As I'm sure you know, you are entitled to reasonable time off for antenatal appointments. No particular phrase you need to use, but give as much notice as possible of course, and he might want to see an appointment letter or card which is fine.

Do mention your concerns to HR so that they are aware he might be difficult; they might have a word with him to make sure he is aware you must be given this time off.

flowerybeanbag Thu 09-Jul-09 09:55:45

The right to time off can include classes, see here and here, although I think most classes are evenings or weekends anyway.

blondieminx Thu 09-Jul-09 09:57:01

Thanks, I will mention it then. Thanks for your advice ladies, I really appreciate it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now