Talk

Advanced search

Calculation of bonus while on maternity leave

(6 Posts)
fruitstick Wed 08-Jul-09 21:38:56

I'm in our company bonus scheme which pays an annual bonus of 15% gross salary.

I'm currently on maternity and have been informed that my bonus will be paid pro rata for the year until I started my maternity leave.

However, I was under the impression that they should also include my 12 weeks leave at full maternity pay in the calculation as technically I am to be treated as if I were in the office.

Is it worth raising as an issue? I don't want to look stroppy if they are entirely in the right but the extra money would really help at the moment!

trixymalixy Wed 08-Jul-09 23:35:45

What do you mean by treated as if you were in the office?

What do the bonus scheme rules say as AFAIK there's no legal reason for them to have to pay you the bonus while you're on mat leave?

fruitstick Thu 09-Jul-09 08:48:41

It says that I won't be paid for periods when I am not at work (not including holiday).

I had assumed, as it was a percentage of my annual salary, I would also receive it for the portion of my annual salary I was paid on maternity leave.

flowerybeanbag Thu 09-Jul-09 09:04:14

You don't receive salary while you are on maternity leave. You receive statutory maternity pay which may be topped up to a higher level by your employer. But it's not salary.

Bonuses during maternity leave are a bit complicated and depend to a large extent on whether they are contractual or discretionary. Yours sounds as though your employer is doing the right thing by paying you the proportion of the bonus that relates to the time you were at work.

herbgarden Sun 12-Jul-09 21:16:26

I worked in a job sharing role part time until I went off on maternity leave in December. I am due to go back in 3 weeks.

There are two jobs at my level at work.

One is the role which I share with my job share partner (so taken together it is a full time role IYSWIM) and the other is done by just one person full time.

We have been told that there is a chance that someone will be made redundant. If I was to be made redundant whilst on maternity leave how would any pay be calculated?

1. We do not have contractual maternity pay only statutory. Is my redundancy pay based on my pre-maternity pay level pro-rated for the part time role ?

2. What happens about holiday? I am due about another 8/9 days holiday for the year?

3. I was going to go back to work when my daughter was 34 weeks old. As I am entitled to SMP for longer than that but am choosing to go back to assist my job share partner (who's "covered" me during mat leave) can I continue to claim SMP for the full 39 weeks which I could have if they make me redundant before that 39 weeks is up?

4. Contractually I have to give 3 months notice to leave my job. Do they have to pay me for the notice period ? Is this on top of any redundancy pay?

Many thanks

herbgarden Sun 12-Jul-09 21:18:11

Sorry I thought I'd posted in a new topic !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now