Talk

Advanced search

Can I use my accumulated flexi time to offset a day's sick leave?

(3 Posts)
Bangbang Tue 07-Jul-09 15:40:20

I work for a small employer and do not get paid when sick til after the 3rd day. I do however have some flexi time built up - is it possible to use these hours to offset my absense so that I don't lose pay this week? I can't find anything in my terms and conditions about this.

AMumInScotland Wed 08-Jul-09 14:29:00

I don't think there is any standard on this, so you would have to discuss it with your employer to see if they would agree to it.

My employer (much larger) has a system where you can use accumulated flexi-time to take days off, so there is certainly a precedent for employees being allowed to use up built up flexitime in "whole day" chunks, but as I say, I don't think there is any law which gives you a right to that if it isn't in your terms and conditions. But it might well suit your employer to let you do it.

flowerybeanbag Wed 08-Jul-09 14:39:16

I agree. Even if your terms and conditions don't say anything specifically about using flexitime when you are off sick, I imagine there is something somewhere which says your employer must agree to flexitime taken, or reserves the right to refuse a request to take flexitime. So it's basically completely up to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now