Talk

Advanced search

Is this fair?

(3 Posts)
kid Mon 16-May-05 17:52:30

I currently work in DD's school and run a language group for a child that has a statement. DD is in this group as she had delayed speech. Although she has now been discharged from SALT, she still needs to build her confidence.

I have been doing the language group with DD and 4 other children since november.

After speaking to the senco to, I have been told that DD should no longer be in this group as its not ideal for her mum to be running the group. I quite clearly told everyone involved when this group was started that if DD was to be excluded just because I was running the group then I would not do it and they could let someone else do it.
As no-one else wanted to / was available, it was agreed that I should do it and DD could still be part of it. The senco also commented that DD would benefit from continuing taking part.

I have left it today saying that if DD is to be removed because of me, then I am not willing to continue with it.

I don't know if I am over-reacting and should just work on activities with DD at home but at the same time, how is it fair that she should be excluded because they have now changed their mind?

Fran1 Mon 16-May-05 17:58:50

no doesn't sound fair to me, and i don't think you are overreacting.

Sorry don't know what else to advise, i think you've done all you can by suggesting they find someone else to do it.

Totally unfair that dd should be denied it.

How is dd with you? does she understand that you are in "teacher" role and that she has to share you? Maybe you could have a trial run and then discuss again with the senco.

kid Mon 16-May-05 18:04:57

DD knows she has to do everything the others are asked to do. She really loves the group and doesn't get any special treatment. I am often observed by the SALT and she is fine with the situation.

From September, I am to become a LSA in DD's class. This is partly because I want to increase my hours and also the position will become available. I'm beginning to wonder how they expect me to work in DD's class when they refused to let me last year.

I hope they don't start messing me around. I have asked for my job desription in writing but have yet to receive it. I have also requested in writing that should the child with a statement leave, I can go back to my previous job that I have been doing for 5 years now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now