Talk

Advanced search

so, being a bit dim, what are the implications, if any, of working less than 16 hours a week?

(7 Posts)
yousaidit Thu 02-Jul-09 12:46:02

apart from the obvious, which is you will get less money than working more than 16 hours a week! grin

i'm going back to work soon and i want to change my hours slightly which means i would go from a 16h week to a 15hr week.

my work has a minimum requirement of a 9hr week, but years and years ago i can rememnber my mum saying something about 'not earning enough to pay your stamp'????

in this day and age, is there any issues, pension, stamp, whatever if ou work less than 16hrs/

thanks for any advice mnetters!

titchy Thu 02-Jul-09 13:03:01

Not sure about the NI issue - but would assume you would still pay it if your earnings are over the thresshold for paying. HMRC website should tell you.

I don't think you'd be entitled to tax credits though.

Sheeta Thu 02-Jul-09 13:04:01

*watching with interest*

I'm on 15 hours too.

EldonAve Thu 02-Jul-09 13:06:36

you won't qualify for tax credits

flowerybeanbag Thu 02-Jul-09 13:07:19

Income Support is a benefit that is affected by how many hours a week you work - if you work 16 hours or more it means you are not entitled to it.

In terms of tax and NI it's about how much you earn, not how many hours a week it takes you to earn it.

flowerybeanbag Thu 02-Jul-09 13:08:27

Here about tax credits and hours restrictions.

yousaidit Sat 04-Jul-09 19:31:34

htanks ladies, will do some boring proper phone calls re this on monday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now