Talk

Advanced search

Re-applying for job on Maternity... possible Redundancies

(5 Posts)
redcat453 Wed 01-Jul-09 22:22:22

Please can someone give me some advice....

I finished work 2 weeks ago and I'm due to give birth in about 2 weeks time. I received a letter through the post today sating that the company I work for is having a re-shuffle and we have the option to re-apply for our jobs. They're cutting the company down from 11 people to 4!

There are 4 of us who do the same job (2 of which are on Maternity leave now - me being one of them) and I'm just really worried because they're obviously not going to offer the job to me as I'm off until July 2010.

Are there any rights I'm entitled to? or anything I can do to raise a case against them? I'm so confused and worried about my future.... I really don't know what to do

To top it all off my husband came home tonight and said that they are having redundancies too.... which is a double blow

I should be relaxing and taking it easy in the run up to the birth of our first baby but I'm stressing out and really worried.

Can anyone offer any advice please???

trixymalixy Wed 01-Jul-09 22:31:57

info here

You have to be offered a job above anyone else without having to go through scoring as far as I understand it.

MrsMerryHenry Wed 01-Jul-09 22:35:13

Can't post much but I've been in this position. My company were angling to get rid of all the pregnant women/ new mothers, so I ended up getting a solicitor, who was brilliant.

I sincerely hope you don't get to the point where you may need a solicitor, however, if you do, CAT me and I'll pass on his details. He's a lovely guy as well as very good at his job.

Also as a first port of call you should call ACAS - it's free and they're knowledgeable, helpful and fair. Call them tomorrow.

Best of luck, and huge hugs to you.

flowerybeanbag Thu 02-Jul-09 09:04:40

If there is a job available that is suitable, you must be offered it. You can't be expected to apply for jobs like everyone else while you are on maternity leave.

It's unusual in that it's effectively positive discrimination, so it's entirely possible your employer doesn't know they are required to give you preference.

The piece of legislation is the Maternity and Parental Leave Regulations 1999, and the relevant part is Regulation 10.

I would suggest you write to your employer giving them that information as quickly as possible so that they can adjust the application process before it all gets underway.

redcat453 Thu 02-Jul-09 15:21:23

Thank you so much for all your replies - a great help! I knew I could rely on you fabulous mumsnetters!!

I have been on the phone to ACAS and they were very helpful. I'm ready for a fight now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now