Talk

Advanced search

working p/t flexibly but f/t hours suddenly 'gone'!

(13 Posts)
oneofakind Wed 01-Jul-09 22:09:34

I was a full time worker in the public sector until I returned to work part time after ds born and agreed with my manager to work first 17.5 hours and now 21 hours (ds 3.6). As ds now at nursery for longer hours I can work for 25 hours a week. However, when I put it to my manager she came back (rather sheepishly) to tell me that it might not be possible as my hours had been given to someone else ( a temp. agency worker!). I'm really peed off but dont want to rock the boat as I know that flexible agreements are voluntary and they have grounds to order me back to work full time which I could not do. however, I have not signed a new contract as a part time worker so does anyone know where I stand? are they able to slot you into a 'part time position' after a certain amount of time? sorry not too clear as knackered and going to bed but will post further details tom. if needed.

oneofakind Wed 01-Jul-09 22:45:06

bump!

ChasingSquirrels Wed 01-Jul-09 22:56:12

I don't see how they could order you back full time.
YOU have requested a change to your working hours, they have granted it, so they are now your terms.
It would be nice if they could give you more when you want them, but not an obligation on their part, as doing more if they wanted it wouldn't be an obligation on your part.
I don't think the fact that you haven't got a new contract is relevant, you have a verbal contract.

llareggub Wed 01-Jul-09 23:33:40

What was agreed at the time? If you requested part-time working under the flexible working legislation then the change is permanent.

EyeballsandherSunburntNorks Wed 01-Jul-09 23:40:58

I requested 3 days after returning to my old f/t job. I was told that once I agreed the change that was it and my job was no longer a f/t job for me. It went to job share and if my job share left and I wanted to go f/t again I'd likely have to apply for it!

trixymalixy Thu 02-Jul-09 00:11:33

I asked my boss how easy it would be to up my hours once I had gone part time and he said that even though they wouldn't have hired anyone to cover the hours I now wasn't working the departmental budget would have been cut accordingly so it wouldn't be as straightforward as just asking to go back full time.

I don't think I ever signed a part time contract.

smallchange Thu 02-Jul-09 00:19:22

I went back 3 days a week in a public sector job and was told that I had 12 months to return to my full time hours before the change would become permanent. I don't think I got a new contract as such.

Certainly now the rest of the hours are gone and I would have to find a new job if I wanted to go back to working full time.

flowerybeanbag Thu 02-Jul-09 08:58:17

Flexible working arrangements are normally permanent unless a specific trial period or short-term period are agreed.

Did you agree with your manager any such trial period, or that your hours would remain available if you wanted to increase them? That would be extremely unusual. Normally if you request part time working and it is agreed, that's it, it's not as simple as changing your mind several times and deciding when you want more hours, and certainly your employer wouldn't normally keep your old hours open for you indefinitely. If the hours are there to be worked then they presumably usually need someone to work them, so will get someone else to do it.

Similarly they wouldn't just be able to demand you return to full time, unless there is a trial period agreed and the part time arrangement doesn't work out.

What did you agree with your manager?

RibenaBerry Thu 02-Jul-09 09:25:48

Exactly what Flowery said smile. Unfortunately flexible working rules only allow you to request decreases in hours (or other arrangements, like working from home), not to request that they are increased once your children are at school or whatever.

flowerybeanbag Thu 02-Jul-09 09:28:14

Ribena you may have seen it already but I would be interested in your opinion here if you've got a minute...?

Sorry for hijack!

RibenaBerry Thu 02-Jul-09 09:36:38

Done!

flowerybeanbag Thu 02-Jul-09 10:06:07

thanks v much! grin

oneofakind Sat 04-Jul-09 22:03:51

hi all many thanks for the replies - genuinely surprised that I can't increase my hours as and when ds at school. I thought that I was a full time worker on temp. part time hours under a voluntary agreement. A bit worried now but will have to sound out employers nearer the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now