Talk

Advanced search

Toxic ex-client- what to do now?

(4 Posts)
heatwave Tue 30-Jun-09 18:13:12

Am also posting this in Relationships. Am a regular but have name changed.

I work freelance and have done for over 10 years -previously an employee in same field for over 20 yrs.. am a professional.

Have always had good relationships with my clients, and keep in touch with some as friends now, but now I discover this...

an ex client has been "bad mouthing" me to neighbours and villagers ( live in a small community). She ended her contract with me suddenly around 3 years back- gave no real reason. When I asked her both verbally and in writing if she was unhappy about anything I had done, she said not.

I have now found out through the grapevine that she was upset about a small incident which she ought to have mentioned at the time.

I don't know if I am losing much business through her, but my professional reputation is dented and I am annoyed as it is unjustified.

I don't know whether I should write to her or if this would just fan the flames.

She is a gossip, she likes attention and considers herself an expert on everything. I also think there is an element of personal jealousy there and that the "attacks" are not just to do with the incident. Some people will know to take what she says with a pinch of salt, but others won't.

Would you just leave it- or take issue with her?

shouldbeironing Tue 30-Jun-09 18:37:40

I would not contact her. You could escalate this into something out of proportion and make it worse.

flowerybeanbag Tue 30-Jun-09 19:50:29

I would leave it. She hasn't been a client for 3 years anyway, I wouldn't give her the satisfaction of writing to her. If she does it because she craves attention then I think you may well be fanning the flames by entering into a dialogue about it.

If she is the kind of person who still bad mouths someone for something minor 3 years later your letter is unlikely to have the desired effect I would think.

Rise above it and focus your energies and attentions on current and potential future clients.

muddleduck Wed 01-Jul-09 10:20:30

Do nothing.

If it is mentioned to you just be very professional and say that is a shame that she never mentioned the issue to you in person and that you would be happy to discuss it with her.

I experienced this from the other side (I was the client). Some very horrible gossipy things were said of me. At the time I think some people believed her but since then the pattern has begun to emerge so people are starting to realise that it isn't very likely that all her clients are evil! Your reputation is not likely be permanently damaged by one person.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now