Talk

Advanced search

WWUD - a great job I'd like to apply for has just been advertised....

(11 Posts)
curlygal Tue 30-Jun-09 14:22:06

Hi I really need some advice.

I am currently working on a 2 year contract (started last nov) in a part time post.

Today I saw a job I would love advertised.

Would it be really wrong to apply?

I can see many reasons not to:

-only been in current job 8 months
-will need to get reference from current boss who presumably won;t be impressed am going for another job
-other job is full time and I am currently part time
-other job has more responsibilties than current role

But many reasons (and gut instict) says I should apply:

-job is almost exactly what I want to get into
-I have lots of relevant experience
-is an internal applicants only post (always think have more of a chance!)
-job will invlove working in a team when my current job is v lonely working on my own
-current job contract up in Nov 2010 - not that far away and another post may not come up then
-other job is a higher grade with better career prospects and much more money

I really want to apply for his job but just not sure if it would be foolish - I would have to tell my boss that I am appling, then what if I don;t get it - he would know I am not that keen on my job, if I do get it he will be cheesed off as will have to fill my post.

Any advice gratefully received!

MaryBS Tue 30-Jun-09 14:26:34

I would apply, but ask them not to take up references straight away. You may not even get an interview, so why warn him?

flowerybeanbag Tue 30-Jun-09 14:31:20

Why will you need to tell your boss you are applying?

curlygal Tue 30-Jun-09 14:32:30

That's a good idea, I think that they only usually need references if you are selected for interview so I can make it clear that I'd prefer that they don;t contact my boss unless I am lucky enough to be interviewed.

At that point it will be pretty crap if I don;t get through the interview !

curlygal Tue 30-Jun-09 14:33:49

I would tell my boss I was applying as I would need to give him as my referee as they ask for your current employer.

Is it usual practice NOT to tell your current boss you are applying for a new job and then just tell them if you get an interview?

titchy Tue 30-Jun-09 14:38:27

Yes it is definately standard practice not to breathe a word about job hunting to your boss until you breeze in with your notice letter!

flowerybeanbag Tue 30-Jun-09 14:44:37

usual practice not to tell until you've had an offer of a new job tbh, which is normally the point at which your boss will need to provide a reference anyway.

annh Tue 30-Jun-09 16:41:14

But this is an internal job, yes? Don't know if that makes much difference in most places but in my previous line of work (which admittedly was a bit niche) it was looked on very poorly if you applied for a new position within the company and didn't tell your current boss. It was not generally looked on unfavourably that you were applying for new positions.

curlygal Tue 30-Jun-09 17:01:02

The usual practice here is that they automatically ask for references before interview stage so almost impossible to get an offer of employment without your boss finding out you were looking! I don;t think that I would be offered the job without my current boss's reference.

It is an internal job - is a big organisation though - I feel that I should tell my boss I am applying for the job, but perhaps I shouldn;t...

annh Tue 30-Jun-09 17:14:06

Well, in this case it sounds like you don't have a choice! If you can't even get to interview without references, then it is far better for your current boss to find out from you that you are applying than only hearing when someone from HR calls asking for a reference?

curlygal Tue 30-Jun-09 17:53:35

Am probably worrying about nothing. My boss is probably not really going to care!

I take my job seriously and want to do well and worry that if I do tell him I am applying for other jobs he will automatically think that I am crap at my job

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now