Talk

Advanced search

ooh help needed - filling in an application form...what does this mean?

(8 Posts)
Tortington Mon 29-Jun-09 22:08:21

1. Is there anyone who relies on you for day to day care and attention? (This question is recommended by the Equal Opportunities Commission and will help us review our flexible working policies.)

If Yes, are they :
a) Children: aged 0-5
6-11
12-18

Date(s) of Birth:

and/or

b) A family member / partner (please specify):

------------------

first thought was - well yes i have kids - so i ticked the box

THEN i thought - are they asking if i am a 'carer'

never come across this before - and if i am honest i think its a shit question becuase it means i am admitting having children - which is supposed to be irrelevant - i think

what do you think?

be back later

flowerybeanbag Mon 29-Jun-09 22:10:26

Hmmm. Is it in the detachable anonymous bit of the application, like questions about ethnic origin and all that stuff which is also irrelevant to the job? In which case I probably think it's ok.

spicemonster Mon 29-Jun-09 22:10:47

Is there somewhere on the form (usually at the top of this bit) where it says something like any information that you supply will be disregarded in your application as it's just for monitoring purposes? There should be. Otherwise it's none of their business.

spicemonster Mon 29-Jun-09 22:12:22

Yay, flowery, you're back! Nice to see you

TotalChaos Mon 29-Jun-09 22:13:12

I think they are asking if you have any kids OR some sort of unwell/frail/disabled family member or partner that needs care (i.e. they are assuming that all kids will need some form of care)

Isn't it part of the separate data they collect about race/religion etc that is meant to be kept separate from the main form when they shortlist?

flowerybeanbag Mon 29-Jun-09 22:18:09

thanks spicemonster

Tortington Tue 30-Jun-09 00:01:01

yes it is part of the seperate monitoring bit - so is the consensus that i should answer that i have kids - or should i not answer because they are asking if i am a carer - iykwim

flowerybeanbag Tue 30-Jun-09 09:53:29

Well I'd answer. It sounds genuinely as though they are monitoring how many employees have some sort of caring responsibilities (either for children or for adults) which would entitle them to formally request flexible working. It seems the idea is to enable the employer to review their flexible working practices making sure they are in a position to meet their responsibilities and the needs of their employees. Working out the extent of how many employees are entitled to request flexible working will help them do this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now