Talk

Advanced search

Is an email a form of written notification?

(13 Posts)
Southwind Mon 29-Jun-09 12:45:41

Hi

I was wondering if I told the HR dept I was pregnant in an email after a being told to send this email to HR by the CEO, does this count as written notification of my pregnancy?

BennyAndJoon Mon 29-Jun-09 12:47:59

I would say yes.

We had official notifications of stuff at work via email. Just ask them to confirm that they have received the notification by emailing you back.

<<waits for someone more knowledgeable>>

weaselbudge Mon 29-Jun-09 13:37:18

Definitely YES.

Rhubarb Mon 29-Jun-09 13:38:28

Absolutely yes!

Aeschylus Mon 29-Jun-09 13:40:13

yep..

who writes letters in todays world

stillstanding Mon 29-Jun-09 13:43:41

Depends on context.

In the one you describe I would say yes but in others it might not be. For example, where a contract required written notice to x address and the x address was not an email address then you would need to write (on paper) to the given address.

flowerybeanbag Mon 29-Jun-09 14:25:24

I expect so yes, but probably best to ask them whether they are happy with an email!

I would email them as you have been requested, notifying them of your pregnancy and any other relevant information, and say that if they require this information in the form of a letter, please let you know. Ask them to acknowledge the email as well.

It depends how your employer works. For most that would be fine, some might demand a letter, some employers require you to fill in a specific form when you are pregnant. Drop them an email and say that if they require any further information you are happy to provide it.

lal123 Mon 29-Jun-09 14:31:00

I've had to fill in a specific form for my maty leave/pay. Just one thing if you're still there flowery (and sorry for threadjacking!) they've asked me when I intend to return - I don't know yet. I've just put a year after I go off - assuming that if I want to come back sooner I can just give them the 8 weeks notice? Is this right?

flowerybeanbag Mon 29-Jun-09 14:32:02

yep that's absolutely right lal, if in doubt put a year then as long as you give 8 weeks' notice you can come back sooner if you want.

stillstanding Mon 29-Jun-09 14:41:17

I thought they weren't supposed to ask you when you wanted to come back?

Southwind Mon 29-Jun-09 14:43:35

Hi

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I actually sent this in an email back in Feb 09 as told to by the CEO after verbally telling him, it was acknowedgled at the time and I wasn't ask to provide anything else.

But now because I have raised a greivance about how I have since treated me due to my pregnancy they are saying that it is not a formal document.

flowerybeanbag Mon 29-Jun-09 14:55:13

If they didn't require you to complete a formal document and acknowledged your email as notification of your pregnancy, then that's fine.

lal123 Mon 29-Jun-09 15:10:37

If it wasn't a formal document they should have told you at the time? Did they treat it as a formal document(i.e. did it trigger HR procedures/maty leave/maty pay procedures?), does the maternity leave policy describe what a "formal document" is?

Re my emplyers asking when I want to come back - irresepective if they are meant to or not it makes life alot easier for them (and me!) if they can plan adequate cover for when I'm off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now