Talk

Advanced search

IDEAS Working in the evenings and weekends

(10 Posts)
mumsobusy Mon 29-Jun-09 01:34:22

Im looking for work in the evening and/or at weekends either home or work place for i need to fit it around DS.

I dont know where to start or what to do

Any advise of what could do at all Please

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 29-Jun-09 01:56:15

When my DC were little (Quite A Long Time Ago) I got evening and weekend jobs through cards in windows - the local video shop (outdated concept as this is) and local pubs (ditto). The latter might still be a possibility, depending on where you live. Fast food shops? Bingo hall? Supermarket shelf-stacking? Amazon warehouse?

Or there are various party plan sales things - I did Ann Summers. Could you manage an Avon round, or Betawear, or some other catalogue company?

How about taking in ironing? Or training to become a childminder? Could you let out a spare room?

Tortington Mon 29-Jun-09 02:18:31

supermarket

MissSunny Mon 29-Jun-09 10:39:24

Message withdrawn

ruddynorah Mon 29-Jun-09 10:41:33

look for a big retailer that opens late. i'm a manager at a big M&S and work 5-10pm. most of my team start at 6pm once their OHs get home from their job. most do 3 nights a week, some do 4. they alternate friday and saturday nights, so one week a friday, the next week a saturday. no sundays.

slug Mon 29-Jun-09 11:08:44

Depends on your background. Could you private tutor?

mumsobusy Mon 29-Jun-09 11:33:42

Thanks for the advice i ve worked for 20 years in office based environment but had give a break for 5 years due bringing up dc, he has health issue (cp) so has lots of doctor appointments also has bad immune system so gets ill alot so I dont think I can get a day job yet. I thought this way one of us will always be with him.

Sorry for all these questions I worked overseas so dont know where to search

How do I find these jobs do I have to apply for them on their site because I haven,t come across it in the job centre site.

and what do I do about references I can provide character reference but the work reference is a problem I am no longer in contact with and the person (boss) that I worked for has left the job too. The job i did next was temping 5 years ago can they give me reference would I have to contact them before writing them down in application form.

I did consider working from home but I think its too complicatedn and dont really earn much either i once tried Avon but didnt get anywhere no one would order anything and I wasted 4-5months trying to make it work

slug Mon 29-Jun-09 12:02:16

I've earned a bit of money in the past teaching EXCEL and other Office programs. I get my students from the Mummies at the school gate who have been out of the workforce for a while and want a few extra skills for their CVs.

overthemill Mon 29-Jun-09 12:11:43

slug, that sounds like a good idea - but how m do you know what to charge?

slug Mon 29-Jun-09 12:41:56

What the market will bear. I vary it according to how wealthy they are. I once tutored two children and was paid £7.50 plus dinner, which given I was single and the parent made the best chicken and potato curry ever, was a bargain. Look here and here for ideas on how much to charge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now