Talk

Advanced search

If you work in the public sector do you take a moving day?

(7 Posts)
flatcapandpearls Thu 25-Jun-09 22:09:02

I am moving house next Saturday, it is hectic because last weekend I was camping with some students and this weekend I am on another residential. I did not realise you could take a moving day, I justy thought we get a lot of holidays and should move in them. But dp and some colleagues think I am daft not to take one. It is all immaterial now as it is too late as I am going away in the morning, but do people really take moving days?

janeite Thu 25-Jun-09 22:11:14

We moved in a half term and I didn't take a moving day. Prior to that, we moved on a Saturday and I didn't take a moving day. You are entitled to one but most teachers I know have tended to move in holidays or weekends and not had a moving day.

flatcapandpearls Thu 25-Jun-09 22:13:54

I had not even heard of them, someone just said to me today I bet you are glad of your moving day as you have been away.

flatcapandpearls Thu 25-Jun-09 22:13:57

I had not even heard of them, someone just said to me today I bet you are glad of your moving day as you have been away.

annh Thu 25-Jun-09 22:46:41

What is this "moving day" of which you speak? Is it what the rest of us refer to as annual leave? grin

flatcapandpearls Thu 25-Jun-09 22:47:20

A day to move house.

Technofairy Thu 25-Jun-09 22:51:29

I've been in the public sector since 1985 - different government departments - and I've never heard of a moving day.

Yes we have special leave with pay for domestic emergencies - and it has to be an emergency - but for a house move I'd take leave and expect my staff to take leave as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now