Talk

Advanced search

have seen the job of my dreams, really REALLY want the job, but need you to help me with my portfolio please

(15 Posts)
sunburntats Thu 25-Jun-09 19:11:12

Could you advise please:
1) How to best set it out?

2) When should i draw the line in time span on certificates?

3) How do i make it reader friendly and clear?

4 Do i put a copy of my CV in the front of it?

Any one any good with CV's how do i set this out? Is it with headings?
LONG time since i did any of this so very very behind the times, please help...

Ewe Thu 25-Jun-09 19:12:05

What type of job is it? What does your portfolio consist of?

sunburntats Thu 25-Jun-09 20:03:29

ive got a load of certificates, its a management role.

Ewe Thu 25-Jun-09 20:36:27

What types of certificates?

I would say make your CV the main element here, your actual certificates aren't really necessary in most cases providing you adequately cover off your qualifications and experience on your CV. The only thing I think should be included is if you have an MBA from a top 20 MBA school or another internationally recognised qualification of similar stature.

Time frame that we typically work to (I work in recruitment/exec search) is last three roles or last ten years for detailed information, whatever seems more appropriate and depending on the stage of your career. Try and keep it to two or three pages (max) - you could possibly stretch to more if you are CEO level.

flowerybeanbag Thu 25-Jun-09 20:39:24

I really wouldn't worry about certificates. Your qualifications and/or relevant training will be on your cv. If anyone wants to double check it and see the actual physical certificates they will ask. I've never asked to see anyone's certificate for anything, nor has anyone ever seen any of mine.

Focus on a good cv and covering letter.

sunburntats Fri 26-Jun-09 22:28:31

The application will be elctronic, and they ask for additional info.
So do i use that as my CV?
I am unsure how much info to put on the application as i dont want to go on, but at the same time dont want to miss anything off it?

sunburntats Sat 27-Jun-09 18:39:24

anyone with any advice please?

laumiere Sat 27-Jun-09 19:53:42

Hi, I can help: http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/smallbusinessads/775542-Professional-CV-writing-improvement-50

sunburntats Sat 27-Jun-09 20:00:59

sorry laum, i am hopelss on computers, what is that thingy you put on about cv's?
I dont understand it,
is it soemthing to google or what is called a link.
Sorry, truly am computer illiterate..

sunburntats Sat 27-Jun-09 20:05:14

oooh just followed it and found you.

many thanks, but i cant afford that, but it looks fantastic.

hadnt realised that CV's were such allot of money.
sad

Ewe Sat 27-Jun-09 20:37:29

Is the application a pre structured form or does it just need to be submitted electronically?

Do you have a job description?

laumiere Sat 27-Jun-09 21:46:33

sunburn It's a tricky one I know but it's a speculate to accumulate situation, as one of my last clients put it, £50 now gets you a job worth £36K plus a year.

sunburntats Sun 28-Jun-09 14:35:35

Its an electronic application.
I do have a JD yes, and i have tried to structure my application and supporting info around this, but is is 3 pages long so far!

I am trying to cram SO much relevant info into it......im quite a catch you know!!

Not sure how to make it shorter.

flowerybeanbag Mon 29-Jun-09 14:37:25

Are you perhaps giving a bit too much details sunburntats?

Identify all the key criteria in the job description and make it as easy as possible for whoever is doing the shortlisting to 'tick off' that you meet the criteria. Don't give them long essays to read, make it as simple as possible to quickly identify that you more than meet the criteria. The aim is to get you shortlisted.

Here are my standard cv tips cut and pasted from another thread

----------------------------------------

'Put personal information at the top (name, address, contact number only, not 'married 3 kids age 37 favourite colour blue').

Put a personal profile-type statement after that, just a couple of lines summing up what experience/skills you have to offer and the type of position/company you are looking for. Obviously make sure these tie in with the job you are applying for.

For each job, put dates, job title and employer, in reverse date order. For most recent/relevant jobs put a list of bullet points of main responsibilites and/or achievements. Do this with the job description for the job you want in front of you so you can emphasise relevant stuff.

Then qualifications/training. List in most recent order, include relevant training courses and higher education if you have it. Don't put Home Ec O Level. Everything on your cv should help you get the job you are looking for, and school exams usually won't unless you are a school leaver or very early in your career.

Don't put photos or anything else annoying and irrelevant, don't put it in a folder or on pink paper, don't staple it. It needs to be easy to read and easy to copy. Put page numbers and your name in the footer of each page in case of mishaps with photocopying.

It should be no more than 2 sides if at all possible. Don't leave gaps but jobs that were ages ago and/or are not relevant can be just listed with dates and little or no information about them.

--------------------------------------

The jd will have a person specification section which will list any qualifications necessary, any skills or experience necessary and any other qualities or requirements you need.

First priority is to make sure your application makes it completely obviously that you meet all essential and desirable (if any are listed) criteria.

sunburntats Mon 29-Jun-09 21:44:04

Thanks so much beany, that makes perfect sense.
That is how i shall set it all out.
Thanks again
sx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now