Talk

Advanced search

My DP has his first interview for a Teaching Assistant position tomorrow ....

(18 Posts)
heavenstobetsy Wed 17-Jun-09 12:17:27

.... what should he wear!

Is it OK to go in the tidy/casual clothes he normally wears when volunteering (at another school) or will they expect him to be suited and booted?

shinyshoes Wed 17-Jun-09 12:24:06

It's always nice to go smartly dressed even if it is in the school that he's been in volunteering, shows that an effort has been made. Not sure about a complete suit, perhaps a nice shirt and trousers, I wouldn't go with a tie or anything.

Good luck to him btw smile.

heavenstobetsy Wed 17-Jun-09 12:27:12

Thanks Shinyshoes - DP seems to think his usual cords and a good shirt will be fine but I've always worked in city jobs and so was thinking he needed to be a bit more formal!

Fingers crossed - he really wants this job

sporadicname Wed 17-Jun-09 12:43:53

Agree with shinyshoes, a suit maybe a step too far, but trousers and shirt would be suitable. Though it depends if they have asked him to do any tasks with the children as part of the interview.

UnquietDad Wed 17-Jun-09 12:44:38

Good luck Mr Betsy. Schools need more men!

UnquietDad Wed 17-Jun-09 12:45:32

Oh, and I'd wear a jacket, with a smart open-neck shirt and smart trousers and shoes. No tie.

OrmIrian Wed 17-Jun-09 12:45:48

Hope it goes well! Smart trouser and shirt. Not suit.

Dh did this about this time last year. He's taking on a full teaching post this Sept grin

heavenstobetsy Wed 17-Jun-09 14:37:43

Thanks all - he doesn't have to do anything with the kids, he's already had the tour etc so I will tell him that mumsnet agrees with me and he needs to smarten up!

Well done your DH OrmIrian - I really hope my DP can do the same!

heavenstobetsy Thu 18-Jun-09 16:00:50

Thanks again for all your comments - just wanted to let you know HE GOT THE JOB!!!!

grin

flintski Sun 21-Jun-09 08:06:10

Hi,

can I hijack the thread please? My DH would love to get a TA job before maybe doing teacher training. How easy was it for your DH (and any others) to get the job? i.e. had he done any voluntary work etc or was his experience having kids (which is all my DH currently can say)
any thoughts/advise would be great,

smile

heavenstobetsy Sun 21-Jun-09 08:28:44

Hi Flintski,

It was pretty easy in terms of the interview process in the end - it was the first job he applied for!

We translated all his current employment skills to match what they were looking for on application - i.e. working under own initiative, dealing with stressful situations etc which was pretty easy too.

What I think made a big difference tho was that he has been volunteering at a local school for two full days a week since April and taking the afterschool sports club - the headmistress gave him an absolutely glowing reference! Plus he had already enrolled for a cache course at the local college (starting September) which kind of showed how serious he was

TBH what the school seem to have been looking for more than tons of experience was energy and enthusiasm which my DP has in spades!

Good luck to your DH - I'd say gor for it. Schools are crying out for male TAs

MagNacarta Sun 21-Jun-09 08:34:13

Just wanted to add my best wishes - more men in schools is a great thing, especially for those of us with boys.

heavenstobetsy Sun 21-Jun-09 08:35:03

sorry, meant to say getting voluntary work should be really easy - we found loads of schools were really keen for free help.

However, it did take 4 months for the CRB check to come back so maybe if your DH fancies it it would be worth talking to schools now with a view to starting work in the Autumn

heavenstobetsy Sun 21-Jun-09 08:38:51

Thanks Magnacarta grin

flintski Sun 21-Jun-09 21:06:28

Thanks for this heavens (and couldn't agree more MagnaCarta) - Apologies for the late response - father's day commitments!

the voluntary idea is one we'd talked about so will make sure that happens and good point about approaching people now.

He's really enthusiastic and I think that will come across - Will let you know how he gets on

flintski Sun 21-Jun-09 21:08:03

oh and what is a cache course? (sorry for ignorance blush - you'd think I'd know as I'm a secondary school teacher!!)

heavenstobetsy Mon 22-Jun-09 09:56:48

from what I understand, CACHE is like an NVQ but you can only do the NVQ if you are working so CACHE is the equivalent if you are only a voluntary helper.

Good luck to your DH - my DP is so pleased he's made the career move

memoo Mon 22-Jun-09 10:02:04

Hi, I'm a primary school TA. I did my TA NVQ whilst volunteering at my local primary school 3 days a week.

You don't have to be working to do the TA NVQ as long as you are volunteering in an appropriate setting for at least 12 hours a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now