Talk

Advanced search

SMP question- can anyone help me?

(10 Posts)
MarkStretch Mon 15-Jun-09 19:40:04

I am on maternity leave.

My maternity pay from my employer ended last month and I am now receiving SMP for the next 3 months.

I have been offered a few hours a week work from home, can I work and earn money whilst receiving SMP?

flowerybeanbag Mon 15-Jun-09 19:41:59

You can be self-employed and still receive SMP, but you can't be employed by someone else, no.

rubyslippers Mon 15-Jun-09 19:43:59

you can do a certain number of hours IIRC

about 10 days - HMRC website

flowerybeanbag Mon 15-Jun-09 19:47:51

The 10 Keeping in Touch days you can use are for the employer paying you SMP. You can't work for a new employer and still claim SMP from your existing employer.

MarkStretch Mon 15-Jun-09 19:49:06

Ok, this may be a problem.

How about if they don't pay me until my SMP has ended?

flowerybeanbag Mon 15-Jun-09 19:51:29

But you would be getting paid for work done while you were claiming SMP, which you are not allowed to do.

Does your contract with your current employer even allow you to work for someone else anyway?

rubyslippers Mon 15-Jun-09 19:52:57

thank goodness Flowery is bakc!
i didn't even get the gist of the OP ...

flowerybeanbag Mon 15-Jun-09 19:55:50

gringrin

flowerybeanbag Mon 15-Jun-09 19:58:59

DWP technical guidance here, you will see it says SMP must stop if you do some work for a new employer during the time you are receiving SMP. It doesn't matter if you delay receiving payment, it's working during what's called the Maternity Pay Period that counts.

MarkStretch Mon 15-Jun-09 20:20:11

Ok, thanks for your help everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now