Talk

Advanced search

I have just spoken to 'Occupational Health'...

(2 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Mon 15-Jun-09 11:51:48

and I am a little shocked and surprised!

I received a cal from a 'customer service advisor' type woman who talked to me like a salesperson. She arranged a telephone 'appointment' with a nurse on Friday, who will have a discussion with me about my absences.

And from the rest of my conversation with the woman, this is what I got from her.

*The liason with OH is done mostly via telephone conversations.

*If they need a Drs opinion, they will not liase with my Dr, who has seen me in reference to my current medical situation for 4 months, on a weekly basis, because 'he works on my behalf' so is not impartial. They might if they think he might have something to add to the recommendations, ask him for input, but not as a matter of course, or to form a large part of their recommendations. I told the woman this was ridiculous, as my GP is working on the best medical interests of me and my baby, not on what i want from work, but what will best support me in my recovery!

*I will possibly be requested to attend their offices for a medical 'assessment' with one of their own Drs, who will help the nurse make recommendations to my employer.

*They are allegedly 'impartial' but work for my employer, on their behalf.

I was just gobsacked really, it was like an insurance claim. I told her so, I said it appeared their job was to save my employers money, rather than to ensure that the right measures were in place to assist my return to work.

I felt like I was talking to an insurance company. I felt like I was being treated like I am a fraud of some kind being tested to see if I am really unwell or just faking it. I told the woman on the phone this!

I don't have any issues with this, but I have had one experience with OH in the past, and I found this a very supportive thing, they helped me get back to work quickly , with the right support, I knew the OH nurse well enough to be honest and open about my fears of returning, and felt she was there to ensure my best interests where taken into account.

And why did the nurse not just call me herself? Why did I need a customer service rep to call me to make the appt?
hmm.

A rant. Over and out.

PavlovtheCat Mon 15-Jun-09 12:08:32

At first I thought it was a company selling me something, it was all so formal!

'is that mrs pavlov? I hi my name is xxx from xxx, how are you doing today? Where you aware that you had been referred to us by your employer? oh thats good. I would ike to arrange for one of our nurses to conduct a telephone interview with you, we have an appointment slot available on friday if that is any good for you?'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now