Advanced search

Grasp the next rung of the career ladder

Find jobs that fit your skills and your home life with Mumsnet jobs

See all jobs »

Is this right, I know it isn't ethical, but is it allowed

(7 Posts)
captainpeacock Fri 12-Jun-09 21:39:22

My dh has worked for the same company for 15 years. The department he works in are paid a bonus because they don't work in normal conditions. The company have now decided that they want to move him out of this department which will mean that he no longer gets this bonus, this will mean a loss of approx £100 per month to us. He doesn't think that he can do anything about the move, but can he do anything about losing his bonus? I would be grateful for any help as he has already lost all overtime and things are now really tight.

thumbwitch Fri 12-Jun-09 23:30:07

bumping for you in case any latenighters have an answer. I don't, sadly. for you - shit situation.

Tortington Fri 12-Jun-09 23:42:27

phone acas

Doozle Sat 13-Jun-09 00:10:01

Does he contract state that his job is specifically in that department? Or does he have a more general job title that would allow the company to move him around departments?

It may come down to contractual detail like this.

captainpeacock Sat 13-Jun-09 12:22:07

Thanks all. I'm not sure what his contract says. It is a really old one and I think it is just a very basic document. The company already moves his shifts around whenever they feel like it with no thought so I'm guessing that it probably has that catch all sentence about we can do anything we like and you will have to put up with it. Custardo he is in the Union so I will get him to speak to his rep. Not holding out much hope as I'm thinking what Doozle says is probably right, that his contract doesn't state his department. Oh well, will just have to tighten our belts even further.

Doozle Sat 13-Jun-09 21:27:41

Definitely check his contract.

But if he's done the same job (and got the associated bonus) for so long, I'm wondering if he's acquired some rights along the way to working in that job, even if it doesn't specify his exact dept in the contract.

If you take a look at your household insurance, it sometimes covers for you for free legal advice on employment matters.

If you are covered, I reckon this is by far the best route to take and speak to an employment lawyer directly.

captainpeacock Sun 14-Jun-09 17:10:24

Thank you doozle, I will certainly go down that route. Anything is worth a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now