Talk

Advanced search

Just checking that you all know you can request flexible working if you have under 16s now

(9 Posts)
CapricaSix Fri 12-Jun-09 07:55:10

Here

Cos I didn't realise it had changed from under 5s (this April) until I tentatively asked work if i could anyway!

This includes various options - term time only, a change in hours, part time, flexi hours etc etc.

If work say yes to my request i will be so happy and it will make such a difference....

Starbear Fri 12-Jun-09 08:33:43

I have add this to favorites as I might want to change posts. I knew it was up to 6 yrs not 16 yrs. Lovely, Thank you

LupusinaLlamasuit Fri 12-Jun-09 08:43:22

And (already? or soon?) if you have to care for adult relatives too. Though I don't think that includes an able-bodied DH who just wants you to fetch him a beer grin

Starbear Fri 12-Jun-09 08:44:50

LupusinaLlamasuit Good point. Is it law now or being introduced?

CapricaSix Fri 12-Jun-09 09:31:47

The direct.gov website is really good, there are interactive questionnaires on there to ascertain whether you qualify, and what type of pattern would most suit you, and also a link to a form you can fill in if you want. The form makes it easier, than typing out a request yourself.

Also worth checking out the bits about holiday entitlement.

lal123 Fri 12-Jun-09 09:33:08

Only thing about laws like this is that they really don't seem to confer any new rights at all - so we've suddenly go the right to ASK for flexible working? Whoop-dee-doo

CapricaSix Fri 12-Jun-09 14:48:52

Well, at least the employer has to give good reason, with evidence, if they say no...

CapricaSix Thu 18-Jun-09 07:46:41

Just to let you all know that work have said yes to my request!! I am so happy. I will go from 3 days a week all year round to 4 days term time only, and also a slightly earlier finish so I no longer have to use a CM (can use an after school club which dd will be MUCH happier with). And, it's worked out to be a bit more pay as well as much less child care costs!! grin

I am so, so chuffed. I urge any of you who need to do something like this to give it a try!! Even if it's something as little as needing to finish 15 mins earlier a day...

Kiwinyc Thu 18-Jun-09 13:44:16

lal123 the point is that you're eligible to ask and have it be considered for flexible hours up until the age your youngest child is 16, instead of only 6yrs old.

This means a lot to me, it means I have the right to ask for my hours to be adjusted to suit me and my children after then start school and then again when they go on to secondary school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now