Talk

Advanced search

Working while on maternity leave

(5 Posts)
MumofIsaac Wed 10-Jun-09 15:56:18

Is this allowed? I'm considering getting a weekend job while I'm on maternity leave but how will this affect my benefits? Does anyone know?

sazzerbear Wed 10-Jun-09 15:58:52

I don't think it is as you are still technically "employed" whilst on mat leave. Have you tried ACAS? They are very good on such matters: 08457 47 47 47.

mogwai Mon 15-Jun-09 10:30:59

I'm on maternity leave and I have two jobs (actually three because I do some freelance work).

In terms of my jobs, I can do ten "Keeping in Touch" days and be paid for them without losing benefits.

However, I can go back to the job I had first and work there and still receive maternity pay from my second job. The crucial point seems to be that I was in that job first.

I can also do freelance on a self employed basis.

As far as I can see, if you only have one job, you cannot take on a second job without losing benefits. You would have needed to have been in that job first.

flowerybeanbag Mon 15-Jun-09 14:40:54

If you are receiving SMP from your first job, you can't start a new job and still receive it, no.

If you return to work for either your current employer or a new employer, your SMP stops.

RibenaBerry Mon 15-Jun-09 15:32:30

Also bear in mind that, depending on your line of work, your employment contract may state that you are not allowed outside interests - i.e. other jobs. In some jobs it would be a sackable offence to take on other employment without advance permission.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now