Talk

Advanced search

HELP!! JOB INTERVIEW TOMORROW!!!

(9 Posts)
Mandymoo Tue 10-May-05 14:45:50

Hi

Got a job interview tomorrow afternoon and I am soooooooo nervous! Havent had an interview in about ten years and have lost all confidence since having dd (pni and all that).

Any tips or advice on how to come across well? Its for a legal secretary position - only part time but I would be really chuffed to get and dont want to mess it up.

Cant believe i'm a grown woman and feeling like this but there you go!

ANy advice would be most welcome XXXXX

nikcola Tue 10-May-05 14:48:26

hi,

i had an interview this morning is was very informal they asked me 5 questions and 3 senarios it wasnt as bad as i thought i would be they never are!

just be yourself xx good luck

tamula Tue 10-May-05 14:52:21

My advice is lots of eye contact, the occasional smile (not to excess!) If a question throws you pause and ask them to repeat the question, take your time and think about it, less haste is best. Draw on your personal experiences and always turn weakness in to a strength.

Sorry if its all very obvious to you, dont mean to patronize!!

Good luck!

MrsBigD Tue 10-May-05 14:53:27

Good luck mandymoo.

Just be yourself, always worked best for me.
Don't let them feel that you're 'desparate' for the job...

Oh and keeping eye contact with lots of smiling is always good.

Good luck again, you can do it!

Mandymoo Tue 10-May-05 14:54:22

Hi thanks - nothing is too obvious for me at the moment!!!!! I'm 30 but feel so old and out of it!! Good tip about eye contact - will remember that one. Fingers crossed!!!! XX

koalabear Tue 10-May-05 15:09:25

mandymoo - good luck - let us know how you get on

i do a lot of interviews for candidates for the company i work for, and i always believe that:

1. the interviewers are human, and know that you are too - don't be afraid to be yourself - it shows if you are not

2. if you don't know something, say you don't know, but add how you would go about finding out the answer

3. make sure you know about the company, have read their website, and know a bit about the position you are applying for - it makes you look interested and keen to work for them (an applicant who is not motivated is not attractive to the company)

4. don't be afraid to make eye contact, smile, laugh a bit if appropriate, relax

5. have some questions ready, because they will probably ask you at the end if you have any questions for them; eg. when will the position start, when will a decision be made, if i haven't heard in 1 week, is there someone I can contact to find out about the progress of my application

koalabear Tue 10-May-05 15:10:52

ps. BREATH, and if you get nervous, count to 5 and BREATH

Dahlia Tue 10-May-05 15:21:19

Lots of eye contact, good firm handshake, try and sit comfortably - its not good if your knickers are up your bum when you sit down! (I'm serious!) Above all, be yourself and accept that nerves are a good thing.

koalabear Wed 11-May-05 16:23:45

Mandymoo - how did job interview go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now