Talk

Advanced search

Sensible decision or career suicide?

(10 Posts)
oregonianabroad Mon 08-Jun-09 07:29:30

I used to have a job I loved on a .5 contract. Then, a year ago, my boss approached me and asked if I would like to change my role and increase my duties to .75, saying that if it wasn't working out, we could discuss it in a year. I agreed.

I have never regretted anything more. It has caused major upheaval at home, and at work I have fallen into a pattern of negative and passive agressive behaviour patterns.

I am starting to really consider asking to go back to my old role and .5 contract, knowing that it will probably be career (and financial) suicide if I do -- my department is expanding in another year and there will be a complete re-shuffle then -- but I am not sure I can hang on till then.

What would you do?

PavlovtheCat Mon 08-Jun-09 07:39:24

Why would it be career suicide?
Financially it is difficult reducing a salary that you are used to having, but you to get used to the lower income quickly enough (having done it myself and about to do it again, even further soon).

I personally think if you were happy as you were, and if this was open to negotiation after a year anyway, it would be worth going back to where you were, You will be a much better employee if you are happy at work, and at home. And at home you will be much happier if your balance is right.

Money is not everything, and you will be able to move back to 0.75 later when your children are grown up (how old are they btw?)

moondog Mon 08-Jun-09 07:42:42

Why can't you cope with .75?

MIAonline Mon 08-Jun-09 07:43:17

Agree with Pavlov.

As you say, you have fallen into a pattern of negative and passive agressive behaviour patterns t work, so if you are happier at .5 then you will probably find yourself working in a more effective way and when the re shuffle happens, you may actually be in a stronger position than you are currently iyswim.

A year is a long time and you sometimes need to bite the bullet and go with what you want.

oregonianabroad Mon 08-Jun-09 16:38:52

Thanks all.

Moondog -- .75 is basically a full time job, in less time for less money. Frustrating in the extreme.

Spoke to the big boss today, and am trying out a new working pattern and will discuss later in the month how things are going.

hmmmm....

oregonianabroad Mon 08-Jun-09 21:20:32

Dcs are 2 and 4, BTW. Feel like I am missing too much being at work, and too stressed out when am not.

violethill Mon 08-Jun-09 21:27:34

giving up completely might be career suicide, but going down from 0.75 to 0.5 isn't. Sounds like it could be the right thing for you at this stage.

oregonianabroad Mon 08-Jun-09 21:29:56

thanks violet.

it feels like such an emotional decision, but it shouldn't be, really.

oregonianabroad Wed 10-Jun-09 07:55:28

anyone else have any advice or words of wisdom on this? I have 2 weeks to make my decision.

oregonianabroad Thu 11-Jun-09 18:06:53

bump?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now