Talk

Advanced search

Maternity Pay for teachers

(14 Posts)
mummynumnum Fri 05-Jun-09 20:48:16

What do teachers get in terms of maternity pay now?

mummynumnum Sat 06-Jun-09 16:53:27

Anyone?

wotulookinat Sat 06-Jun-09 16:58:15

It's changed since I was pregnant in 2006, but your union will give you the latest info.

cat64 Sat 06-Jun-09 17:13:39

Message withdrawn

fatzak Sat 06-Jun-09 17:29:13

Pasted this from the TES website for you
Maternity pay and leave

Improvements to statutory maternity pay and leave apply to women whose expected week of childbirth (EWC) is 1 April 2007or later. The actual date of childbirth will not change the entitlement.

There are currently no changes to occupational maternity pay and leave but a woman is legally entitled to use whichever provision is the most advantageous. This means that there will still be a mixture of rights depending on her conditions of service and statute.

All pregnant employees regardless of length of service will be entitled to 52 weeks ordinary maternity leave.

Employees with 26 weeks' continuous employment with their current employer by the 15th week before the EWC will be entitled to 39 weeks' statutory maternity pay (SMP) and a further 13 weeks' unpaid maternity leave. SMP is £112.75 per week from April 2007.

Maternity pay will depend on length of continuous service and conditions of service, for example:

a) A teacher under Burgundy Book (local authority employment) conditions of service with one year or more continuous service by 11th week before the EWC will receive:

four weeks' full pay;
two weeks' 90% pay;
12 weeks' half pay plus SMP;
21 weeks' SMP;
13 weeks' unpaid leave.
b) A teacher with 26 weeks but less than one year's continuous service by 15th week before the EWC will receive only the statutory entitlement:

six weeks' 90% pay;
33 weeks' SMP;
13 weeks' unpaid leave.
c) A teacher with less than 26 weeks' continuous service by 15th week before the EWC will receive:

52 weeks' maternity leave;
Statutory maternity allowance (SMA) will be payable if the teacher has been in employment for at least 26 of the 66 weeks ending with the week before her EWC. SMA is £112.75 per week from April 2007. This will have to be claimed from the local Jobcentre Plus office.
Contact during maternity leave

There is a new provision entitling the employer to make "reasonable contact" with the employee while she is on maternity leave. The Regulations give an example of when this might be appropriate: "to discuss an employee's return to work". The teacher should be informed of any important developments at the school and any promotion opportunities or job vacancies that arise during maternity leave. However, it is important that the amount and type of contact must not be excessive or intrusive and that the teacher must not be asked to do any work at home.

Keeping in touch days

Women will be able to have up to ten days during their maternity leave when they can go into work without ending their maternity leave or losing maternity pay. These days are intended to be used for "keeping in touch" and could be for training or work. The employer does not have to offer these days and the employee is not obliged to accept them. Women are legally protected against any detrimental action for refusing the days. A keeping in touch day constitutes a day's work and the teacher should receive full pay for these days.

Hope it's useful smile

fatzak Sat 06-Jun-09 17:31:01

Oh and I'd call payroll/personnel to work out for you how much you'll get each month as it's very confusing!

mummynumnum Sat 06-Jun-09 18:55:19

Thanks everyone. I read somewhere something about you being able to average out your maternity pay so you get the same each month. Can this be done or was it a load of rubbish that I read?

dizzymac Sat 06-Jun-09 19:48:21

Once You hit the 13 weeks unpaid do you get SMA?

mummynumnum Sat 06-Jun-09 19:57:30

Think so.

dizzymac Sat 06-Jun-09 20:03:02

That would mean a full year of payments then based on the above information?

Sorry to hijack your thread. we are currently trying to decide if we can afford to go for No. 3!!

I wasn't working when we had the other 2 so we lived on DH wage and ran up debt which we are currently paying off. I don't want to go through that again so it looks like I'll be working and PG if we decide to go for it.

mummynumnum Sat 06-Jun-09 20:07:34

We have just bought new house. Had been trying for ages and nothing hapened . But now prospect of out of work for six months and bigger mortgage. Yikes. Really was new house new baby

dizzymac Sat 06-Jun-09 20:09:24

Congratulations. I hope it all works out for you.

ChocEclair Sat 06-Jun-09 20:13:23

Hi there, I'm a teacher currently on mat leave. I am getting as follows:

4 weeks = full pay
2 weeks = 90% pay + SMP (but must not exceed full pay)
12 weeks = 50% pay + SMP
21 weeks = SMP
13 weeks = unpaid leave

I am going back to work after the first 18 weeks however as we can't afford for me to go down to just SMP.

The payroll people asked me if I wanted the money monthly (not the SMP bit) or if I wanted it all at the end! I don't think you can average it out though.

Hope this helps
CE

mummynumnum Sat 06-Jun-09 20:15:18

It does. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now