Talk

Advanced search

Why, in a recession, is it so hard to recruit people?

(48 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 04-Jun-09 19:38:45

I am advertising a nice little P/T job

No qualifications necessary

Family friendly (ish) hours

Above minimum wage (just)

Free lunch

& can I get a new member of staff hmm

The number of people who apply then pull out when invited to interview or after interview because it is too far THEN WHY DID YOU APPLY - can you not read a map/google an address/look on multimap??

Ivykaty44 Thu 04-Jun-09 22:15:25

I suppose if they are family freindly ish - then childcare would be required so eat into the wages that are just over minimum.

I would be happy to work for less pay for complete family friendly hours but not if I still had to fork out for childcare - so would give that one a miss.

To far, you apply for job and then find that actually the price of getting to work on public transport or having to use legs in some way...

Have you tryed the job center?

Overmydeadbody Thu 04-Jun-09 22:19:00

Where is it? I am interested grin

KatyMac Thu 04-Jun-09 22:20:44

Yep Job Centre

No public transport at all - but I have had people apply from over 1hr 20 mins drive (for a P/T job?)

Hours are 8-1......so ish is I think fair

KatyMac Thu 04-Jun-09 22:28:00

Really.......very rural Norfolk.......I thought not wink

Starbear Thu 04-Jun-09 22:30:43

8am is a rubbish time for a little part-time job. Most kids don't get into school until 8.20am-9am. Then add travelling and you should be looking at 10am start. Finish at 2pm to be able to get to school in time. What else are you offering if the pay is so bad? What do you want people to do for the money? It looks like they have to own a car. Well if the pay is so bad they wouldn't be able to afford a car. Not rocket science is it. I would love a new job but can't afford to just work for pin money those days are gone.

KatyMac Thu 04-Jun-09 22:33:13

If they are local they can bring the children with them & even take them to school (if they go to the local school) themselves

Plus free childcare in School holidays/inset days

KatyMac Thu 04-Jun-09 22:34:42

Oh & I can support training - NVQ, Foundation Degree, EYPS

& they need no qualifications to start

Starbear Thu 04-Jun-09 22:36:40

Have you advertised in newsagents near the school. OR asked the school if you could post the advert? maybe?

KatyMac Thu 04-Jun-09 22:37:56

Yep & the children's centre

KatyMac Thu 04-Jun-09 22:39:04

& the head is looking out for me

I just need to rethink something to make it more accessible - I'm just not sure what

MrsBonJovi Thu 04-Jun-09 22:39:25

Is it childcare?

Where have you been advertising apart from Jobcentre? Are you focusing on mothers? if so maybe a notice in local parent and child group notice boards

nancy75 Thu 04-Jun-09 22:40:54

ime the jobcentre is the worst place to advertise, in 10 years of recruitng people i have only used it as a last resort and never got a suitable candidate from them.
have you tried local newspapers and maybe if desperate gumtree to advertise on?

MrsBonJovi Thu 04-Jun-09 22:41:32

I think the 8am start is a killer.

No thinking its a pre school setting..maybe put something in the school news letter

KatyMac Thu 04-Jun-09 22:42:40

I agree Nancy - but once 3 yrs ago I got a star, so I always put it there too

Yes it is childcare - The children's Centre is where all the M&T stuff is

MrsBonJovi Thu 04-Jun-09 22:43:57

...not all jobseekers from the jobcentre are unsuitable. I have a friend who is about to sign on for the first time. She wouldnt normally see an advert like this unless in the local paper or jobcentre. This would be an ideal job for her.....if in Norfolk!

MrsBonJovi Thu 04-Jun-09 22:45:00

meant if she was in Norfolk!

KatyMac Thu 04-Jun-09 22:45:37

I have had success with:

P/T Uni students
Mums returning to the work place (esp those with partners who can do the am run)
Pre-retirement people (ready to slow down but not give up yet)

llareggub Thu 04-Jun-09 22:47:39

Do you need to set the hours? Could they be negotiable?

MrsBonJovi Thu 04-Jun-09 22:48:37

Right so assuming you have covered;

Jobcentre
Newspapers
Internet
Local Agent

I would recommend sending notes home in the childrens bags, there may be an relative/friend of parent who they know is looking for work.

Put notices up in key locations/well used areas of local community

If all else fails a leaflet drop in a big housing estate ...blank and white copies but may be pricey and time consuming.

nancy75 Thu 04-Jun-09 22:48:50

not really sure what it is you run, but at my dds pre school one of the kids mums has just started working there - would one of the parents be interested or do they all have jobs already 9clutching at straws i know!)

KatyMac Thu 04-Jun-09 22:49:03

No Hours are set (I can't cancel children or change their hours because staff want to work a different shift)

KatyMac Thu 04-Jun-09 22:50:19

I run a childminding setting

All parents are at work...with their children in childcare (me)

nancy75 Thu 04-Jun-09 22:50:30

also get on to the jobcentre and make sure that the people they send you are fully aware of the job/travel/hours before they send them to you. sometimes giving the jobcentre a bit of a kick up the bum helps smile

llareggub Thu 04-Jun-09 22:50:59

I thought this was an admin person rather than childcare?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now