Talk

Advanced search

Any advice for my dh please? He was given a formal warning today...

(10 Posts)
cupofteaplease Wed 03-Jun-09 19:35:57

My dh has been in his job for 6 months now, he works as a production manager. He runs a team of 7 people on one shift, another lady runs the opposing shift. She has been employed there for a long time. My dh was not very taken with her when they met, he said she seemed unfriendly and whenever they see one another at the cross over of shifts, she ignores him saying hello etc, just blanks him. Dh is a very sociable and friendly chap, so I think this bothered him.

Anyway, a few weeks into the job, his manager pulled him aside to say the other shift leader, let's call her Mary, had informed him that dh hadn't locked the unit at the end of his shift and she'd come in to find it unlocked. Dh was shocked, as he was sure he had locked it.

A few weeks later, he was pulled aside again and told that Mary had claimed the door had been left unlocked on a couple of occasions. dh disputed it this time.

Today, he was pulled in again and given a formal warning. Mary has said again that the door has been left unlocked. Also, dh's boss has said, for example, that things need to be left unboxed, so my dh's shift leave them unboxed when they leave at 10pm. By the time the boss gets in at 9am, the items have been boxed up (Mary's shift starts at 6am)A catolgue of 'errors' like this were included in dh's warning this afternoon.

Seemingly, they have taken Mary's word on every account, and they have given the reason for this as that she has been there the longest. In the space of time that she has been there, the opposing shift have gone through countless production managers- there seems to be a pattern...

What can dh to protect himself? I suggested that when he locks the door at night, there needs to be a system in place whereby somebody else on the shift checks and countersigns. However, I feel these are things the management team should have suggested to dh to protect himself, that is, if they are remotely bothered about him staying in their employment and earning their trust.

Any advice at all about steps to take from here? Thanks for reading, this has been very long!

hotbot Wed 03-Jun-09 19:58:16

YUP, Def get a collegue to countersign and instigate a proper handover with "mary"<cow>

differentID Fri 05-Jun-09 20:39:36

do you have a camcorder?

If so, dh needs to film himself doing what his boss has asked and locking up and storing it by date in a safe format.

cupofteaplease Fri 05-Jun-09 20:50:14

Good idea differntID. I fear that it is too late now- they have clearly made their decision...

WolframAlpha Fri 05-Jun-09 21:11:22

No it's not too late. He can start a new double-checking process, with a counter-sign for those things. He can speak to his manager, say he has come up with a way to minimise human error on both shifts, he'll look good and it'll be a way to shut down any sabotaging.

differentID Fri 05-Jun-09 21:21:20

it's only too late when he actually gets fired, until then any and all strategies will help.

LoveBeingAMummy Tue 09-Jun-09 07:35:12

Your poor DH. Are there any of his booses who he trusts enough to tell them this? Could he get witnesses for the next month or so on the quiet and see f she brings up more stuff?

backintheUK Tue 09-Jun-09 07:41:01

My understanding of employment law is that he can't be hauled in and given a formal warning they need to follow a disciplinary investigation - to which he should be invited to attend with at least 24 hrs notice and with the option of being accompanied. The other persons longevity has nothing to do with whether she is telling the truth. Companies now have to follwo ACAS guidelines. Is he a member of a union - if so you need to speak to them - if not I would try and have a meeting with personnel and ask for a copy of their disc procedure.

HTH

backintheUK Tue 09-Jun-09 07:42:13

Sorry meant to add - i would also recommend your DH putting in place this double checking procedure as other posters have recommended and putting it in place himself with his team...

differentID Tue 09-Jun-09 19:47:49

what's happening so far? anything at all?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now