Talk

Advanced search

Letter of Application - help please!!

(6 Posts)
TigersChick Wed 03-Jun-09 15:31:38

OK - I'm going to sound quite pathetic now but I guess that's what I am so here goes ...

I'm applying for a job for the first time in years.
It's a teaching job and I've been on supply for the last 6 years so have had quite a bit of work but haven't had to apply for any of it IYSWIM.

The application pack asks for a 'letter of application addressing issues you regard as relevant to the post as prescribed in the Job Details supplied and to present any factual information which may not have been included in this application form.'

So ... should I go through the Job Details section and do a short paragraph on each bit of it or would that seem stilted and odd to read? I seem to remember being told to do this when I was at uni but it seems a bit clinical. I know that it's a job application not a pen-pal letter but I don't want to seem like I can't think for myself. (Yes, I get the irony of asking for help to think for myself grin)

Also, one of my referees (hopefully) was the Head I worked for 5 years ago. This is because I haven't done much long-term work since then (been mostly odd-days) and have done very little at all in the last 3 years since having DD. Would you say this in the letter so that they understand why I've asked this person to be my referee? I don't want it to be misunderstood that I couldn't rely on anyone else to be nice about me!

Any help very gratefully received smile

TigersChick Wed 03-Jun-09 15:51:51

Also, should it begin as a letter (Dear Sirs, etc) or should it jsut go straight in as a statement?

TigersChick Wed 03-Jun-09 16:28:37

I'll beg ... don't make me beg ... Please ... someone must know!

grin

manyhands Sat 13-Jun-09 22:42:31

Am stuggling with letters of application too am an NQT and have applied for 30 odd jobs with only one interview. The TES has a useful section on the jobseekers section of it's forum

gigglewitch Sat 13-Jun-09 22:45:38

are you completing a form and this is the personal statement? (in which case "May I offer the following in support of my application..." is a fab opening line and then proceed to succinctly tell how your experience equips you perfectly for the job) - or is it the application - with or without cv and has to stand up on its own?

btw, will link you in a mo, a recent TES newsletter thing i got has a fab application advice section grin

gigglewitch Sat 13-Jun-09 22:46:22

x-post manyhands - and same advice grin grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now