Talk

Advanced search

When did you go on maternity leave?

(29 Posts)
TrippleBerryFairy Tue 02-Jun-09 16:57:09

I'd like to start the ML 2 weeks before my due date - is that unreasonable? I keep seeing raised eyebrows when I tell this to my friends - for them it seems way too close to the due date! I am however feeling perfectly fine and don't see why I shouldn't be able to work until the very end (ok, I'm sure I will certainly hate London underground with all my heart by then but I can make this little sacrifice for a few additional weeks with the baby later...)
So when is the reasonable time to stop working?

CurryMaid Tue 02-Jun-09 16:58:33

I went on ML 9 days before my due date.

Was fine, I work from home though. Have you much of a commute/long hours?

lynniep Tue 02-Jun-09 17:00:11

I did two weeks with DS1 and probably will with DC2 as well. I was perfectly fine first time around and had quite a commute - I had to bus it to the station, get the train for an hour to KX, then walk for 15 minutes to work. Could probably have carried on right to due date.

2nd time around - might have allowed a bit of extra time if I was still doing that journey, but I'm not - I work from home - so will request 2 weeks before DD again. smile

MrsHappy Tue 02-Jun-09 17:01:24

I stopped at 36 weeks. I had 2 weeks' holiday and then started leave 2 weeks before my EDD. It was a good idea - very long days, stressful job, boiling hot summer and high BP. I ended up in hospital the week after I finished... And the baby wasn't then born until nearly 42 weeks which was annoying! But it all depends on how you feel, what your job is etc. I would have kept going if I could have.

lynniep Tue 02-Jun-09 17:01:28

DD - meaning due date in this instance - I dont know whether our DC will be a DS or DD yet!!

bellavita Tue 02-Jun-09 17:04:05

I started ML 8 weeks before my due date with DS1. This was on the advice of the midwife. I had a horrid boss, was huge anyway (gave birth to 9+ pounders) and I had a stressful job.

Northernlurker Tue 02-Jun-09 17:09:38

Just about 37 weeks. You'd probably be fine up to 38 but the downside is if the baby comes early then you will find yourself going from workplace to labour ward with no time off for relaxing and sorting stuff. Have you friend delivered at term or beforehand because I think that would change your perspective a bit. I've always gone to at least 41 weeks so 38 weeks would still have been three weeks off for me smile

keevamum Tue 02-Jun-09 17:12:04

39 weeks. Baby was 2 weeks late as per usual so it was fine.

TrippleBerryFairy Tue 02-Jun-09 17:14:16

I have to do quite a bit of commuting- usually spend total around 3 hours on the way to and from work.
I just don't see the point in staying at home for days before due date doing nothing. And I don't get stressed at work; and the hospital is on the doorstep... so near I could go and have a baby during my lunch break there and get back to work on time!

CurryMaid Tue 02-Jun-09 17:16:22

How many weeks are you now and when are you due? If you are in the glowing 2nd trimester bit you could be raring to go but if you're going to be 8.5 months pregnant in August on the sweaty tube you may feel differently.

Have you any a/l? i arranged that I would take 2/3 weeks off before my DD if I felt I needed to at the time but I didn't in the end.

trixymalixy Tue 02-Jun-09 17:25:26

I'm going off at 35 weeks this time i.e in just over 3 weeks time!!!!

Last time I finished at 36 weeks and I was knackered at that point.

cat64 Tue 02-Jun-09 17:29:51

Message withdrawn

tink123 Tue 02-Jun-09 19:30:04

i went on ml at 22wks

wahwahwah Tue 02-Jun-09 19:32:29

The day I went into labour. Not exactly to plan as I still had 3 days work to go (missed my own leaving lunches!)

PrammyMammy Tue 02-Jun-09 19:41:24

I am only 25 weeks now and have been signed off sick until 30 weeks, then i have 2 weeks hols to take and i guess i will be starting after that.

HappyMummyOfOne Tue 02-Jun-09 21:45:14

I worked until 38 weeks, would have gone to 39 but my manager was getting worried smile

KathH Tue 02-Jun-09 22:52:16

With ds2 I planned to start maternity leave the week after he was born (36 wks)

Ronaldinhio Tue 02-Jun-09 22:55:11

the weekend before due date for both

Jackstini Tue 02-Jun-09 22:56:56

5 days before - I wanted it all after too! grin
I work mostly from home though and tried to limit long journeys in the last month. The communte might be hell...

Bonneville Tue 02-Jun-09 22:59:34

Dc1 - five days before she was born (was 11 days early). With dc2 I was self employed so got no maternity leave. Finished working at 5.30pm and dc2 born 8.10pm.

MrsBonJovi Tue 02-Jun-09 23:01:45

i went off under pressure from boss at 34wks, really wish I hadnt esp as baby was 9days over.

Agree with advice to plan to leave later ie 38wks and if it becomes unbearable leave earlier

tigana Tue 02-Jun-09 23:02:15

2 weeks before due date is totally reasonable.
I did same.
I was totally shattered after each day of work mind you, for the last 2-3 weeks, fell asleep on sofa within 10 minutes of getting home at about 5.45, and could have slept untilmorning!!But worth it to have the leave to take once DS arrived.
Agre with cat64 - intend to leave it as late as you can, but be aware that you may change your mind.

BarbaraWoodlouse Tue 02-Jun-09 23:03:44

I originally planned to go two weeks before EDD but in the event added an additional week's holiday and went three weeks before.

TBH I could have managed the extra week (no health issues and in the event DD was neary a week late) but I was definitely getting tired and was fairly glad to go by 37 weeks.

The thing that would worry me most in your case is the commuting. Would you have to do that five days a week to the bitter end? If so, I'd plan to go a litle earlier.

Bramshott Tue 02-Jun-09 23:03:44

I didn't!! With DD1 I commuted and worked the day before she was born, but then she did arrive at 33 weeks. With DD2 I was working from home, but again I worked the day before she came.

4 weeks before is probably more "standard" though I guess, especially if you have a commute.

lucykate Tue 02-Jun-09 23:04:29

2 weeks before due date with both of mine. most people i know worked as long as possible and kept the ml for after the baby arrived.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now