Talk

Advanced search

if you found out someone was earning more than you

(7 Posts)
southeastastra Tue 02-Jun-09 11:43:10

for doing the same job, what would/can you do about it?

BennyAndJoon Tue 02-Jun-09 13:51:33

Not sure really.

Where I used to work the way that pay was decided was on the individual rather than the job, and you weren't allowed to tell anyone else what you were being paid. That said, I know that some people who complained to their manager when they found they were being paid less even though they had more experience, and managed to get pay rises as a result.

What kind of organisation/company is it? What size?

southeastastra Tue 02-Jun-09 14:01:27

public sector, big. my manager has told me to ask HR as it's not up to her hmm. seems a bit weird to me though.

edam Tue 02-Jun-09 14:03:26

Is the other person a man? Is it discrimination on grounds of gender/race or any of the other forms that are illegal? If so, contact the Equality Commission...

MissisBoot Tue 02-Jun-09 14:03:37

do you have pay scales?

did you have the opportunity to negotiate your starting salary?

EffieGadsby Tue 02-Jun-09 14:07:10

That seems a little odd in the public sector - the only reason I can think of is that if the other person started working there long before you, their annual increments might mean they are now on a higher salary. Or they might be a couple of spinal points higher up the scale than you. If they aren't earning substantially more than you, that would make sense.

southeastastra Tue 02-Jun-09 14:08:38

oh maybe that's why then effie, they have been there longer than i have, though we are both equally qualified and do the same job. it's not a man.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now