AIBU to want to give my notice in after just 4 months?(9 Posts)
Went back to work after 5 years as a SAHM earlier this year. I work as an NVQ assessor. Had never really done the job before, but was qualified to do it.
Was told at the initial interviews that some work in the evening would be required, but that it would just be switching on my laptop to upload the days work. However, it has now become the fact that I should be logging on each morning before I leave the house to download fresh information and check my emails and I should be logging on each night to upload and check emails (neither is a quick task - often encounter errors which take some time to fix). In addition, there are always things that must be done immediately so I'm often spending an hour (or 4) of my own time in evenings or weekends to do work.
I think the fact I'm p/t works against me, as I can't fit this work into my working day as I have a short working day (3.5 hours per day, 5 days per week).
I'm getting a bit disillusioned with it all. Feel like with travelling time and extra work, that I'm probably doubling my working hours. I can never switch off, there is always something to be done, and because we don't have an office, my office is my laptop, I always feel like I should be doing it.
As a result, it's all a bit miserable. DS2 has been ill lately (blood disorder after chickenpox) which has been stressful, I've been ill with various things (nasty gastro bug, UTI's, colds....), the house is a tip and I feel a bit like it's all for nothing. Come the holidays I'll be paying out everything I earn in childcare, and I really will be working for nothing. We don't need the extra money (at the moment my sister looks after DS2 whilst I work and DS1 is at school. When DS2 goes to preschool, that will put a dent in my earnings, and the holidays will always wipe it all out), not that there is much! I was aware of childcare costs before I started, but my sister who originally said she would stay with us until commencing uni in Sept, now wants to move out at the start of the school holidays so I will have to find childcare for the whole summer holidays. I have virtually no A/L left as I took some when DS2 was in hospital on and off for a fortnight, and DH can't help as he is Navy, so will be away at sea.
Can't you at least talk to hr first and maybe there is another way. otherwise yanbu
yanbu if the job is not what you expected it to be, then you may as well leave.
Thanks for those messages.
There isn't really a HR as such, well there is, but as we're all locally based, I'd have to approach my manager, which I will do.
Imagine I'll get told it's my fault somehow, that I'm not working effectively enough.... but actually this is what all the assessors are doing. If you haven't got kids, it's probably not so bad, but I do, so it is! I feel like I can do the 21 hours I'm contracted for, but not the extra ones. I'm either neglecting the kids in the afternoons, or my housework in the evenings.
Just tell them, that when you took the job on , you thought it was 21 hours a week, but you are finding that you are doing several hours at home too, and unfortunately you have other commitments, and it owuld be best if you call it a day now.
This would open up the conversation to them trying to find a solution, and if they don't then it is not worth you staying as it will just get you down. good luck
are there no hourly paid assessor jobs at local colleges and then you could work hrs you want plus pay is better
I am also a bank assessor. I get paid per candidate. I knew it was more detailed than I was hoping, but it has taken much more time than I was expecting. I will not be repeating the experience again.
It is time consuming and there is always something that needs to be done and time is pressured.
Sure you can put your skills to use in the future or else where.
Thanks everyone for that input. It's good to hear different ideas.
Had hoped to speak to my manager today at the team meeting, but no chance arose.
I think I might sort out some properly paid childcare for DS2, and give it another month, then make a decision.
Join the discussion
Please login first.