Talk

Advanced search

what is working from home really like...

(4 Posts)
dancingqueeen Fri 29-May-09 23:06:26

I've got an interview coming up and the job would involve some meetings, but a large amount of it would be working from home. In many ways I think this would suit me at the moment, as health issues mean I get worn out going in to work every day. Its also fairly flexible both in terms of time and amount of work I could do, so I'm thinking it could be a good career move for the future (As trying to conceive first child at present... )
But I am someone who thrives on social contact, and my husband works away a lot, so I'm worried that I would find the isolation hard, especially as I'm fairly new to the area so still just beginning to make friends. I'd like to hear from people with experiences of this, to help me think through whether its a good idea...

Mousey84 Fri 29-May-09 23:21:17

If you are actively going out into situations to meet other people (hobby classes or whatever) then I think its a great move. Getting out and involved in the local community could help too - church / community centers etc.

It can be quite lonely. Im a childminder, so I do tots groups etc, and would go insane without them despite the fact I really quite enjoy my own company!

stallfinder Mon 01-Jun-09 19:51:05

Hi,
I work from home running a website. I mainly deal with my customers and enquiries online or via the occasional phonecall so it can be a bit isolating at times. As I'm my own boss I can work as and when when I want so I try and get out to the gym, shops or meet a friend for coffee at least once a day so that I'm not spending all day inside alone.
I do quite a lot of business networking online via business forums, Twitter etc so although it's not the same I do 'chat' to people that way too.
Gail

rubyslippers Mon 01-Jun-09 19:52:38

i LOVE the days i work from home

i like not seeing people occasionally

it is much less busy than the office, so a chance to work more effectively IME

with the amount you will email/call people you won't necessarily feel like you are on your own

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now