Talk

Advanced search

Difficult recruitment dilemma

(32 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 28-May-09 21:58:41

I have advertised for someone to help with the work & do some admin/IT.

I haven't had as many responses as I had expected & I am a bit undecided as to what to do.

Applicant A: can do the job, will fit in, but I get the impression she won't train & would find the admin/IT stuff tricky

Applicant B: has a temp job which might continue but she won't know until September - but she could do the job, the training, the admin/IT & would fit in

Applicant C: could do the job, might be able to do the admin/IT (there might be a language issue - I might not be a good enough trainer to allow for English being her second (or possibly 3rd or 4th) language), might fit in but can't do the hours I need

I am starting to feel like re-advertising but I am wondering about combining A & C on the basis that maybe my wish list is unrealistic

Should I hold out for the 'perfect' applicant or accept they might not want to work for me exist

CarGirl Thu 28-May-09 22:00:23

I would re-advertise perhaps after the summer holidays? Don't suppose I could do the job long distance for you?

KatyMac Thu 28-May-09 22:08:17

Not a problem for me......How would you change a nappy at that distance?

sunitaofdockgreen Thu 28-May-09 22:08:51

When do you need the post filled by?

Twinklemegan Thu 28-May-09 22:10:18

If Applicant B wanted your job then she wouldn't be bothered about her temp job. Can you do anything to tempt her?

CarGirl Thu 28-May-09 22:12:36

But I could do all the admin, and let the other person do the childcare grin

KatyMac Thu 28-May-09 22:14:17

Ideally last week hmm

That's it isn't it - does she want my job enough to give up her 'other' job (& if she says she does.....do I believe her or might I lose her in Sept anyway.....)

Twinklemegan Thu 28-May-09 22:18:13

But surely if she wants your job she'd quit her other job now? Am I missing something?

funnypeculiar Thu 28-May-09 22:22:05

Why not offer it in the first instance to B - she sounds like your first choice. If she wants your job, she'll jack her current one in.
A & even C sound way less than ideal (iirc, you really need someone who can be self-started on the admin side...)

OR could the admin/IT be done by someone else (eg does it have to be in work hours - could a mum with a couple of spare hours in the evening look after it? Might be a cost effective option??

KatyMac Thu 28-May-09 22:23:32

It's a TA - she has work until end of July and might have work in September

She doesn't know (or at least she didn't at the interview) if she wants my job enough to give up the chance of maybe going back to her school in Sept. Of course if I ring her she may have since decided one way or the other (iyswim)

juneybean Thu 28-May-09 22:24:12

I told you, I'm too far away wink

KatyMac Thu 28-May-09 22:26:34

Actually FP the admin being done away from the setting/work hours might just work

Problem I guess would be judging how long jobs would take - I suppose it would just be a trust issue

Would there be a confidentiality/Cp/security issue with the children's data being transferred by email, I wonder?

Twinklemegan Thu 28-May-09 22:46:12

Oh I see. That makes sense now.

Maybe see what you could do (if anything) to make it more attractive for her. If she still won't commit you definitely can't be holding the job for her.

If C can't do the hours you need that sounds like a no go as well. If B turns you down why not give it to A on a trial basis (can you do that?). In the public sector there's a probationary period of 3 months where either party can terminate with a week's notice.

KatyMac Thu 28-May-09 23:17:57

Yep I have a 6 months probation

I always feel this is a bad way to decide......why can't people come with clear labels

Twinklemegan Thu 28-May-09 23:22:01

If it helps, I really do think it is better to give someone a chance to prove themselves (or not!) rather than making decisions based on what are effectively assumptions. I know DH would agree with me!

If you can get B who you're sure can do the job, then that's great. Otherwise I'd really recommend you give A a chance. HTH. smile

SlartyBartFast Thu 28-May-09 23:23:08

why wont A train?

SlartyBartFast Thu 28-May-09 23:23:44

is it child care work and admin?

can you do admin
or have 2 jobs?

KatyMac Thu 28-May-09 23:30:09

If I make it 2 jobs neither is a 'proper' job - too few hours

Currently I do all the admin - I really wanted a hand

I am considering carrying on doing all the admin & doing less work with the babies (which I love) - & I am wondering if that was just selfish

Twinklemegan Thu 28-May-09 23:35:45

It strikes me that doing the admin would be a good opportunity for someone who was looking to move into the management side of things themselves. Would that be right? If so then it's good to offer that opportunity and not selfish at all.

Do you not have other staff who you could train up to help with the admin, if your current candidates aren't suitable for this?

KatyMac Thu 28-May-09 23:39:53

No my current staff don't want a step up, one is older and winding down to retirement & the other has family commitments (rather like a & c)

SlartyBartFast Thu 28-May-09 23:43:32

do you think there is a person out there that can do such a job???

stick with the babies yourself btw, if that is what you love best.

Twinklemegan Thu 28-May-09 23:45:31

OK, then your choice is to get B, tempting her with the opportunity of career advancement if that's what she wants. Or go with A and carry on doing the admin yourself if she really isn't interested. Can you afford to offer more money to B (like an assistant manager almost). Would that be appropriate and would it sway her do you think?

You'll have thought of all this yourself in any case. I'm glad I don't have my own business!

KatyMac Thu 28-May-09 23:47:28

I hope so

I have had one or two before....I trained & they left (latest one went to be a nursery manager.....Katymac blows on finger nails and polishes them on her top wink)

SlartyBartFast Thu 28-May-09 23:49:10

advertise again might be a good option then.

SlartyBartFast Thu 28-May-09 23:50:21

or go for B and hope she stays, if she doesnt stay, then advertise again.
problem solved grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now