Talk

Advanced search

R u offsick pnd & work ask see med records????????

(11 Posts)
starsq Thu 05-May-05 16:35:21

Anybody out there offsik with pnd like me...i was signed off for 13 weeks and am waiting for counselling howeverin mean time work want to see my medical records and then visit me at home????this has added more stress to me the thought of hr going thru records and coming home to my private home......can i object to the visit or will they sack me??been with them 5 years
i said ok to medical record but now thinking what if they find sumething to sack me with but can they////if dcoter saying im ill can they challenge it?????so stresses abt this ,,,and wanted to do flexi hours when go baCK JUST WORRIED ABT RIGHTS ...

Nemo1977 Thu 05-May-05 16:39:20

star replied to ur other post. Just to add my work wrote to my gp for medical records but never came yto visit as my dh phoned and kept them updated on my health and told them that i didnt see anyone as it stressed me out more...which it did and does. It does tend to be normal policy for organisations now

starsq Thu 05-May-05 21:57:22

thanks for letting me know just stresses me out they want to know how i feel but i feel uncomfartable to tell them,,,i just think its personal ,,,soon i will go bak and u know what work colleagues can be like,,,gossip for them

lucykatie Fri 06-May-05 13:51:10

i used to be a manager and had to visit staff on several occasions, your employers are just trying to see how things are with you.

so many people abuse the system and i am not for one minute saying thats what you are doing but thats another reason they visit.

out of say 10 visits, we have known that 8 of them are not genuine!!!! just blagging it.

if your doctor says that you are not fit for work then yes they have a case but if he says that its a set back they do not have a case.

let them see your records and let them visit, if you dont want to answer the questions, then dont just say that its personal.
chances are they wont ask you any personal questions, just a chat about how you are etc.

if you avoid them it will be worse in the long run.

starsq Sat 07-May-05 22:44:15

i dont mind them seeing my records but it is personal ,,,and what do u mean if docter says im unfit for work they have a case,,,,i cant belive 8 0ut 10 blag how can u? does docter check and make sure they ok???

AngelCakeUmm Sat 07-May-05 22:49:11

Lucykatie 8 out of 10 How can you prove someone is blagging anyway i just don't get it?

starsq Sat 07-May-05 23:23:57

yeh me tooo how do u analyse this???? that is a bit unfair to say blagging,,,,,pnd isnt sumthing to joke abt but employer dnt get thjat they just see a big fat wad of money being lost!!!!

Mummyloves Sun 08-May-05 00:35:19

Hi, Starsq,

Look, I'm off sick with stress at the moment and have been for about 40 days. In the past I have been off with PND related illness. Don't worry!!!! Although I work for a major organisation, the same sorts of work practices are carried out by lots of employers.Basically, they are looking to covering their own backs. They obviously want you to get back to work as soon as you are able, that's only fair to them. On the other hand they want you to be fit for work, and they have a responsibility to you. If you are not fit for work and something happens, you may have a case against them. This is a sue culture remember!!!. I don't know who you work for, but home visits and medical records are usually standard procedure nowadays. I've just had a home visit and a case conference with Occupational Heralth and PersoneLl and MY lINE mANAGER AND i WOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT IT. iN MY CASE THEY COULDN'T HAVE BEEN MORE SYMPATHETIC. Good luck.

lucykatie Sun 08-May-05 07:36:01

some of you clearly never read my post correctly, i never said that the origional poster was blagging it!

as for proving who was blagging it and who wasnt....well 1 example, a employee claimed that she could not use a keyboard due to the fact of a recent accident.....fine, she had doctors notes claiming this too, however company policy says that you will have a visit after so many weeks off sick, on the 3 occasions we arranged with her to visit she wasnt home, and on several occasions she was seen out shopping carrying heavy asda bags with the hands which cannot use a keyboard!!!!
on the other side, we visited a employee who had pnd and she was so ill, she did return too early and tried to take her life whilst at work, so not great eh?
i am all for home visits, it turned out that when we looked further into this ladies notes from doctor he told us she was not fit for work, so as a company you can say that as its just not a safe place and she was unstable, thats what i mean by they have a case.

and for the record just to stop anyone getting cross etc, when i fell prgnant with dd2, i was very ill and had from 12 weeks of pregnancy off sick, all signed off by gp, and i still had to have a visit, it was more like a chat and a coffee to be honest, dont be worried by them, but please dont arrange it then go out and dont refuse to see them.

but remember you can refuse to answer any questions that you are not happy answering!

p.s....at the end of the day....yes its about money and profit, i am thankfully out of the game, but i have benn on both sides and i have seen it all!!!!!

lucykatie Sun 08-May-05 07:38:43

oh yeah and as mummyloves says.....compensation, the world is full of claiments at the moment so all parties have to be sooooo carefull, one foot wrong and its a claim all the way.

starsq Mon 09-May-05 15:27:12

thanks lucy i appreciate u info and all of u
i just felt bad being ill and then having to deal with hr.....ta to all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now