Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has this been asked before??

(5 Posts)
horseshoe Thu 05-May-05 10:25:25

I know that this may of been asked before but I was wondering where I would stand with my employer on this. Most of my day is spent twiddling my thumbs and we are so quite at the moment I just dont have any work. This has been going on for 6 months now and I dread coming into work! I think they are hoping that work will pick up as it does tend too and I will be really busy for a week and then suffer ten weeks of nothing. Everything we do is billed and it's hard to find stuff to bill to.
Can I ask for redundancy or should just leave. I have been her for 18 months now. If they allow me redundancy is there a standard package I should ask for?

horseshoe Fri 06-May-05 10:36:56

BUMP!!!

Just wanted to add that I have asked about a more flexible approach to my working hours when we are quiet.

I have been told that I should find the work....ie go begging people for scraps of things to do.

Mandymoo Tue 10-May-05 14:51:46

Hi horseshoe - i am going through the exact same thing and only yesterday spoke to my boss about redundancy. Have spent last 2 years sat with nothing to do (only work 2 days a week but its still tough). Made to feel like a second class citizen because i've dared to go off and have a baby.

Slightly different as i've been with my employer for 8 years now so hopefully i would be entitled to some sort of package but who knows.

How many days a week do you work? Is your boss approachable? I know its sooo hard and i was at point of just leaving but why should you leave with nothing just because they cant find you anything to do?? Its a difficult one but i would try talking to them first and explaining how you feel. Say that you are quite prepared to work but need work given to you. Please keep me updated XXX

koalabear Tue 10-May-05 14:53:36

horseshoe - can you study something at work in the "down time" - improve your skills, and keep the bordem at bay ??

Mandymoo Tue 10-May-05 14:57:09

I must admit I started to keep my boredom at bay by going on e bay!! Probably not the best advice but thought i would share it with you!!

Seriously though - i know from personal experience how demotivating and down it can make you. I would also try calling Citizens Advice about where you stand with the redundancy issue. Get yourself armed with all the information and then make your decision I guess.

Thinking of you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now