Advanced search

help -boring tax question

(9 Posts)
daisy1999 Wed 27-Apr-05 16:09:56

I started work a few months before the end of the tax year and I think I've paid too much tax. Will I get a rebate automatically or do I have to do something? Anybody know?

Easy Wed 27-Apr-05 16:12:04

Do you fill in a tax return, or not? If not, it may be worth phoning your tax office to get them to check. You would get the refund anyway, but if you phone it will probably be quicker.

Oh, they could just adjust your tax code so you pay less tax this year instead.

sweetheart Wed 27-Apr-05 16:18:47

You won't get it back if they continue to calculate your pay incorrectly.

As it's the end of the tax year all the values are set back to zero so I don't think you'd get a rebate anyway.

Your best bet is to phone the tax office any query it with them.


FLUM Wed 27-Apr-05 16:19:29

If you are on PAYE you should automatically get it back through the tax year.

gingerbear Wed 27-Apr-05 16:21:09

use this to check if you have paid too much tax

SaintGeorge Wed 27-Apr-05 16:26:59

Have you had your P60 for 2004/05 yet? If not, wait until you get it and then ring the tax office. Easier to wait as it will have all the info they need to calculate if you are due a rebate.

SaintGeorge Wed 27-Apr-05 16:28:21

FLUM - daisy won't get it back automatically through the tax year as values will have reset on 6th April.

Kevlarhead Thu 28-Apr-05 17:40:17

Call them. You're supposed to get the money refunded automatically, but you won't get far trusting the efficiency and generosity of the Inland Revenue. I prefer to send letters, just so there's a paper trail though.

When you call them, make sure you've got all relevant documentation in front of you (i.e. all of last year's pay slips and your P60, if it's arrived.) Any overpayment of tax will be refunded by cheque, and can be claimed anytime up to six years later.

tallulah Thu 28-Apr-05 17:58:22

Once you get your P60 sent it (the original- keep a copy) to your tax office with a letter quoting your NI number & telling them what you were doing from 6 April 04 to the date you started that job. If you weren't working, say what you were doing (student/ SAHM/ signing on) and whether you were claiming any benefits (not tax credits). That way they have all the info to hand & don't have to waste time writing to you to ask.

(sweetheart- it's your employer who calculates your pay every month/week, not the IR...)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: