Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dh's boss lost his temper.

(44 Posts)
Abitskint Fri 15-Apr-05 14:30:33

Dh has been in his current job since December. I last used this name when he was job hunting last year.

Anyway, the job's ok-ish, he's not really happy, but was ready to stick it out until something else came up.
They have also warned him on th quiet that financially they have probs, and may need to let him go by June anyway.

Anyway yesterday his line manager came up to his desk and said "I need you to go to France tomorrow to sort out this problem". DH said "I'm sorry, I can't".
The boss immediately got on his high horse saying (in front of the 8 other people in the office) "Don't give me excuses, this is the first time we've asked you to go anywhere, I'm not interested in your social commitments, you WILL go, otherwise we may need to consider your position here "
DH let him rant, then quietly said "my passport expired in August last year, and I haven't renewed it yet, as I have no plans to go abroard".

The boss ranted on a bit more, saying he should have a passport. DH pointed out that was not mentioned as part of the pre-reqs of the job, and is not mentioned in his contract. He will get it renewed if the company would like him to, they can give him a day to go to Peterborough to deal with it if they consider it urgent.
Boss called dh a VERY unpleasant name, and stormed off.
Today, boss has gone to France to sort the problem, and my dh has been summoned to see the MD.
I guess he's out on his ear.
What do you think.

morningpaper Fri 15-Apr-05 14:31:59

I think he should make a formal complaint about his boss's language and bullying attitude. He sounds terrible.

Freckle Fri 15-Apr-05 14:33:11

Well, hopefully the MD will be more reasonable than dh's boss, who sounds like a tw*t.

FairyMum Fri 15-Apr-05 14:33:41

agree with morningpaper. sounds like psycho -boss!

Caligula Fri 15-Apr-05 14:34:15

He's got a bloody crap boss, whose obviously feeling under pressure himself and has taken it out on your DH.

No advice, just sympathy.

sacha3taylor Fri 15-Apr-05 14:34:50

How can they ack him for not having a passport if he wasn't required to have one?

sacha3taylor Fri 15-Apr-05 14:35:41

sack

Marina Fri 15-Apr-05 14:36:54

I sincerely hope it's the boss who will be out on his ear. I think your dh needs to start checking where the loyalties of all the other witnesses lie. I really hope for him that people have the guts to stand up and corroborate his story. Bullying in the workplace is an absolute horror of mine, I am so sorry to hear this.

expatinscotland Fri 15-Apr-05 14:38:09

I think he should start looking for a new job asap. Life is too short to work for creeps like this. B/c he is probably still on probation, he doesn't have to give a month's notice to this git of a boss. He can just take on another job immediately.

Abitskint Fri 15-Apr-05 14:38:12

Bear in mind that dh has in the past been technical director for a company, but has this job (senior developer) because he doesn't particularly want a management job.

But his boss treats him as some sort of lad.

The boss and 6 other guys from the office all went out for beer and curry on Tuesday, dh and the other new guy in the office weren't invited.

Caligula Fri 15-Apr-05 14:40:49

Unbelievable. What a shitty way to treat new colleagues. What on earth is the matter with them? I've never heard of new people being treated like that.

Definitely sounds like he should look for something else.

And also maybe the boss has got some insecurity problem about your DH's experience.

Abitskint Fri 15-Apr-05 14:40:49

expat, he is looking.

his contract states 1 weeks notice either side for the first 3 months, 1 month either side until 6 months, 3 months either side after that, so I guess he has to give a months notice (but then so do they)

expatinscotland Fri 15-Apr-05 14:41:07

Who'd want to go out w/a dickhead like that boss a/how? I'd rather sit in a bus shelter in the pouring rain than hang out w/zeros like this manager for a nanosecond.

wild Fri 15-Apr-05 14:42:12

chances are the MD's more reasonbale than line-manager (cd scarcely be less so!)
sounds like your dh's line-manager is under pressures himself
Your dh has done NOTHING wrong
it might be a great opportunity to put a stop to this wretched bully

Abitskint Fri 15-Apr-05 14:42:54

dead right expat.

Anyone want a very experienced senior software developer?

Abitskint Mon 18-Apr-05 13:39:52

Just thought I'd update (In case anyone's interested). The MD spoke to dh, saying "We feel you are unhappy, want to tell you what a contribution you're making ....." I think they've noticed he's been looking at job sites in his lunch hour.

Anyway, the MD didn't know anything about the business on thursday, so dh told him, also about feeling marginalised, and that, having been told he might be redundant in June, of course he was looking at other jobs.

MD seemed Shocked about the way dh was spoken to on Thursday, and promised to have a word with the manager.

Today NO ONE has spoken to dh at all. Not a single "Morning" as he went into the office. He rang me at lunchtime just to make sure his voice and ears still work.

He's applied for 2 jobs this morning too.

wild Mon 18-Apr-05 13:42:32

how horrid
well it's obvioulsy a lower down rather than a higher up issue
what about the other new guy, can't he ask him for a beer or something just so he has one friendly face there until he gets the new job, which I'm sure he will!

Abitskint Tue 19-Apr-05 12:56:57

Apparently, no one made him a cup of tea either. Usually, as there are only 8 of them in dh's office, whoever fancies a cup of tea just makes one for everyone. Yesterday there were 4 times someone made a cup of tea, every one left out dh.

No-one has acknowledged him today either, including his line manager.

He has just rung me to say he's going to ask his boss what's going on, and probably resign. He checked his contract last night, he does need to work a month's notice (which will be hell, won't it).

So we're back to square one.

wild Tue 19-Apr-05 13:02:15

gosh they sound a mature bunch
w++kers
Oh well, at least he can have tea when he wants and nto have to make 7 others
Has he any hols left to take?

Easy Tue 19-Apr-05 13:06:19

Yes, true about the tea. No he doesn't really have any holiday, he only started there in December and had to take three days as the company stipulated holiday at Xmas. Might be one or 2 days I suppose.

Just hope the contracting market stays up, which is what he thinks he'll go for.

WideWebWitch Tue 19-Apr-05 13:06:49

God is this an office of grown men or a playground of 5yos? I wouldn't tolerate it from the 5yos mind you. Poor dh, I think he should step up his search.

bossykate Tue 19-Apr-05 13:07:35

the words "constructive dismissal" have just gone through my mind. imo, your dh should take some legal advice, then ascertain whether it is worth pursuing this line or just taking the pragmatic approach and going. feel very sorry for you both. workplace bullying like this is utterly pathetic. hope your dh gets another job soon.

Easy Tue 19-Apr-05 13:13:46

Thanks all.
Bossykate I think it's constructive dismissal as well, but I'm of the 'put it behind you, look forwards' state of mind. I don't suppose there would be much compensation after only 4 months anyway, and its a 'my word against yours' situation.

And I agree about the 5 yo syndrome. I actually want to go in with my best school ma'am voice on and say "What the devil do you think you're all playing at?"

This shows British management at it's best.

Easy Tue 19-Apr-05 13:15:04

OOOOps, fogot to change my name back

MrsBigD Tue 19-Apr-05 13:51:04

god that place sounds like where dh works! Though dh then would just loose his temper back and there'll be a swearing contest ...

hope all turns out well for your dh his manager sounds like a right twit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now