Talk

Advanced search

Anyone experienced on grievance procedures?

(8 Posts)
mustincreasebust Fri 20-Feb-09 14:02:07

Hi

I am trying to put together a grievance letter to my employer who I resigned from because they demoted me during my Mat Leave and completely fluffed up my flexible working request. Does anyone know of a good website that will help me?

Also as a side issue, my home insurance covers any legal expenses I incur if I go on to a tribunal but I am on my own for the grievance bit. If anyone has any experience of this can you tell me your experiences? Part of me thinks maybe I should just hire a solicitor to sort the grievance out as well.

LadyMuck Fri 20-Feb-09 14:09:41

Are you still within time limits? When were you demoted and when did you resign?

mustincreasebust Fri 20-Feb-09 14:13:37

I resigned last week after being demoted the week before, I think the time limit is 3 months?

mumof2222222222222222boys Fri 20-Feb-09 14:17:40

get your grievance in as soon as possible. Specify exactly what happened and how you believe this is related to your maternity leave and hence you consider it to be discrimination on the grounds of your sex.

Very important this, as if you don't get a grievance in, the Tribunal may not have jurisdiction to hear your claim.

LadyMuck Fri 20-Feb-09 14:26:23

So were you still on mat leave? Were you due back in last week?

To be honest I think that if your home cover covers a tribunal then as the grievance letter is the first step then I would get advice asap. Constructive dismissal is very difficult to claim, but if you have a valid sex discrimination case then you should really get good legal advice first. You will have made things considerably more difficult for yourself by resigning before starting the process, so worth while getting decent advice.

LightShinesInTheDarkness Fri 20-Feb-09 14:32:39

Try ACAS as a first step.

flowerybeanbag Fri 20-Feb-09 14:37:27

You need legal advice. If you have already resigned the only reason to put in a grievance is so that you can put in a tribunal claim, it's just a box that needs to be ticked. Ideally you should have put in a grievance before resigning and then resigned if that didn't bring about the result you wanted, so that won't help your case.

I would suggest you do speak to a solicitor. Many will give a free first consultation so that you can get an idea of whether it's worth putting in a grievance - whether you have a viable tribunal claim.

mustincreasebust Fri 20-Feb-09 14:40:37

Ok thanks all, I resigned because I really couldn't see a way back they were so appalling to me.

I put my flex working request in Nov and despite me hounding them for a meeting every week since we only managed to have a meeting week before last. Now my flex working was for 1 day working from home then 4 days in the office (which btw other male members of staff do). I used to deputy manage a team before mat leave but now aparently I couldn't anymore as 'I would hardly be there' grrrrr got there is so much more but I won't turn this thread into a rant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now