Talk

Advanced search

Company Maternity Policy - When do they have to let me know??

(34 Posts)
Preggars Wed 06-Apr-05 10:37:22

I am about to go on maternity leave. I have just over 2 weeks left in the office. I gave them my maternity proposal 5 months ago, stating the changes in the law, etc. (company doesn't have HR), and what I would like, etc.

Is there a date when I company has a legal obligation to advise me of their policy... or is this in the laps of the Gods??

serenity Wed 06-Apr-05 10:44:40

I would have thought they should have let you know as soon as you informed them you were pregnant. Doesn't that sort of thing form part of your contract? In the past I've always had a little mini policy as part of my employment contract, and then when I've told them they've given me a more detailed booklet.

Do you have a union? They are normally very up to date on this kind of thing.

Preggars Wed 06-Apr-05 10:58:30

Hi Serenity

I wish, but they are last minute merchants in every aspect. I just wondered if anyone knew if they HAVE to let me know.. one of the Directors mentioned he had asked the MD to let me know before I leave (huh, yep, would be handy)...

serenity Wed 06-Apr-05 11:13:43

I don't know enough about this, but there are a few MNers who know quite a lot about employment law, so hopefully they will see this soon.

My gut feeling though, is that their maternity benefit package forms part of your contract of employment and therefore they are obliged to give you a copy within a certain amount of time, and logic would say that should have been ages ago!

Good Luck!

Preggars Wed 06-Apr-05 11:24:37

Thanks Serenity - I think I will need it.

runtus Wed 06-Apr-05 11:46:55

Your employee is required to respond to your leave plans within 28 days. They should write to you, setting out the date on which they expect you to return to work if you are taking your full entitlement.

I would request a meeting as soon as possible and request this confirmation in writing of your plans. Them not having an HR dept in no way excuses them from this responsibiltiy.

Hope that helps and enjoy your maternity leave!

Preggars Wed 06-Apr-05 11:56:47

Runtus,

Thank you, this is what I am looking for. Do you know where this is written down, as I would like to be able to copy this information into an email.. and I want to make sure I have my facts right.

runtus Wed 06-Apr-05 12:07:05

http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/matleafr.htm

This tells you everything you need to know and as it is a Gov site they will not be able to say it doesn't apply to them.

Look spcifically at the section headed 'Notice of intention to take maternity leave'. There is even a link to a template letter for them to use for you.

Good luck

Preggars Wed 06-Apr-05 12:08:31

You are a *

runtus Wed 06-Apr-05 12:10:50

Let me know how you get on

Preggars Thu 07-Apr-05 11:03:21

I'm being totally ignored. I emailed my boss yesterday and politely pointed out that the company had a legal obligation to get back to me months ago.

I, in return, hear nothing.

It is really hard not having HR.

runtus Fri 08-Apr-05 09:39:55

Is he the company MD? If not, go straight over him and talk to his boss, outlining the situation and your concerns.

If he is the main man, is he in the same building as you? If he is, I would just very publicly ask him if he received your email and when you can hope to have the details in writing.

It's tricky I know, becuase being in a small company you don't want to rock the boat if you are p[lanning on returning to your job. But I would say if he is blatantly ignoring you and you have got nowhere by being polite and business like, you may have to resort to pushing him.

Preggars Fri 08-Apr-05 09:43:45

He said to me yesterday afternoon (the MD this is) that he knows he has some outstanding stuff to sort out with me, he just been busy. As my boss, who has been ignoring me also, is back on Monday, I am going to hang fire until then.

I can't believe this is still unresolved with just two weeks today to go.

runtus Fri 08-Apr-05 10:19:21

It hardly smacks of an employer making the move to Maternity easy and realxed for you does it? The general consensus reagrding Maternity Leave is that the employer is supposed to do everything to make this life changing period easy to understand and negotiate........in the hope that you don't get left feeling like a burden and want to return to work. Might be worth pointing that out to whoever you eventually speak to, hopefully they will realise the stress they have caused you.

Preggars Fri 08-Apr-05 11:28:53

Just realised how stressed I am, had a minor verbal clash with my colleague, and we both now ok, but it is definately due to this stress..

MissChief Fri 08-Apr-05 11:36:49

poor you, what a nightmare! if you need to check more info www.tiger.gov.uk is also good - divided into employee & employer section - should n't have to but you could always get them to look at the latter section if they're unsure what to do (might be why they're ignoring this).
having said that, I've had no contact whatsoever from our (useless HR) departmt even tho work for major employer. I@m not really expecting any help from them - will plan with boss my leave, ideally for mutual convenience and in accordance to what I'm entitled to. maybe you could do the same? HTH and good luck

Preggars Fri 08-Apr-05 11:49:59

..thanks MissChief. Feel a bit better, just pi**ed off that I am letting it get to me.

My boss used to be brilliant, but he's been funny ever since i told him I was pregnant, and now he's ever so distant.

He's in on Monday, so I'll get hormonal with him then!! (well, I hope not, but I have a feeling I'll bloody fill up or something).

MissChief Fri 08-Apr-05 11:54:37

..my boss is similar - new to job but had previously thought him decent, considerate. since i told him I was pregnant (know it's obviously an inconvenience to them) he's said all the right words "I'm only concerned for your health &wellbeing" then piles on the work and is encouraging me (not verbally) to stay on as late as possible, doesn't wt me to take a/l - might be me being unfair & expected too much, on the other hand might be blatant sexism, lack of knowledge about mat related law. guess there's only so much older men can empathise.

Preggars Fri 08-Apr-05 12:05:11

He is like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. I hate how a once star employee (blowing my own trumpet) loses all bargaining power now I am pregnant. I would love to tell them go take a jump, but I need to return to work, so I keep smiling.

MissChief Fri 08-Apr-05 12:08:56

think that's unfortunately all too familiar - there was research recently indicating how widespread problem is of women being sacked, forced to resign etc while pregnant - even with all the legislation, so difficult to prove someone's attitude, isn't it? At least you only have 2 weeks to go, though. Maybe your reputation will return after mat leave with any luck! nothing like a big bump to disconcert a middle-aged man, or so I'm finding!

Preggars Fri 08-Apr-05 12:29:37

! Thanks MissChief.

Preggars Mon 11-Apr-05 11:58:25

T-Minus 6 days to go (5.5 now) and still nothing.

ARGHHHHHHHHHH

runtus Mon 11-Apr-05 12:48:54

Have you raised it with your newly returned boss?

Preggars Mon 11-Apr-05 14:00:55

Yes, he said he's chase the MD.

I guess I just have to wait.

teabelly Tue 12-Apr-05 14:53:08

Preggars I have a similar sort of situ at work. Currently 33+3 (3 weeks left before Mat leave starts) Company is quite small and our handbook was only finished last year and had maternity rights that were at least 4 years out of date!! I didn't point this out at time as was trying for baby, had only just been made permenant (after a year of contracting). But told them about baby at 16 weeks, gave necessary letter of intent, and informed them that book was out of date but gave them the dti and tiger website addys if they wanted the current legislation....

Sooo to date no letter, recent appraisal was good, but no pay rise or bonus (yet everyone else got one ) and no letter aknowledging my initial letter 4 months ago, grrrr. Don't want to rock the boat about pay because 1) only prob about £500-600 so not worth loosing job over, 2)I very much need to come back to work, and have good salary for 3 days a week (not likely to find such a good deal in a hurry)...but very p*ssed off that blatant disregard for law, and wonder what will happen in 7mths time when I'm due to return...as they have been insinuating an overhaul in resources (of which I'm one apparently) and decisions yet to be made on best application of those resources and which are needed going forward . Have gone through line manager (who is CFO and does all the HR side of things) but feel I will now have to speak to the actual boss - but not sure what to say without sounding petty, or rocking the boat and so loosing my job....arrrhhh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now