Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Not allowed Part time hours

(8 Posts)
cosi Fri 01-Apr-05 14:17:59

I returned to work 4 days a week and my employers said that I would have to go to 5 days a week after 6 weeks. Agreed to it but am finding 4 days too hard already so asked to stay on 4 days but have been told I cant as they need me to work 5. Their reason is that both my colleagues are off on maternity and being covered by temps who arent experienced enough to do the work they need me to do. Does anyone know if this is a good enough reason legally to refuse me flexible hours?

expatinscotland Fri 01-Apr-05 14:24:10

Sounds like a good enough reason to me. Can they put you back down to 4 days/week after your colleagues return?

cosi Fri 01-Apr-05 14:25:42

They have said that they can think about that but they are both taking extended leave and wont be back for another 6 months.

skerriesmum Fri 01-Apr-05 14:28:32

I think once you've agreed to one scenario for a limited time, you probably need a really good reason to change it back (although I've just done this myself; I thought I would have to go to a 5 day week after three months but luckily I have a great supervisor who extended my 4 day arrangement.) It's bad luck that you're all busy mums in your department, isn't it? I know that in Ireland, one of the few reasons an employer can refuse parental leave or flexible arrangements is if other staff are already taking child-related leave, which is definitely your situation. Like expat I'd say all you can do is wait for the maternity leaves to end...

skerriesmum Fri 01-Apr-05 14:29:33

Sh**! That sucks! Sympathies...

lunavix Fri 01-Apr-05 14:44:54

You could call their bluff I suppose... depends on how much you need the job. A friend was in a similar position (wanted to go down to 3 days though) and she said Fine I'm not staying then, I have to spend more time at home so they gave her it.

cosi Fri 01-Apr-05 14:49:44

I dont want it to get to that as I like my job but I will try it if I have to. If they need my experience so much 4 days is better than nothing.

derbymom Wed 20-Apr-05 21:34:44

Completely understand. I applied to return p/t (3 days)and have been refused so have to go back f/t at end of june. Am dreading going back but finding a p/t job at the level i want is not easy. employers don't understand the needs of a working mum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now